UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Training MMA

1/17/08 12:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tgo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jan-08

Hi Mr Harris, I was wondering in regards to mixed martial arts training,at what age would you say is too old to start training? Do you think someone starting in their early thirties is too late? Also which training methods would you recommend to complement ones mma training?
1/17/08 1:08 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jan-08
tgo, There's nothing wrong with training MMA at any age. However, one must be realistic with their goals. Starting your MMA training without any previous martial arts training AND thinking you'll be the next heavyweight UFC contender in a few years is unrealistic. I think MMA training is great, regardless of age. However, all serious training is extremely difficult and has injuries lurking around every corner. So, if you can deal with injuries, then go for it. However, if you (like many guys) have very important responsibilities hanging over your head (a wife, a child, and a career that depends upon the use of your hands, etc...), then I suggest looking into another style of training. Repeated takedowns, full power strike and submissions are hard on the body! However, if all you want to do is train for fun and fitness, and you have a local place that will allow you to do so (with minimal risk of injury), then go for it! With regard to the basic of MMA, they involve the following: 1. Boxing (Western and Filipino). 2. Kickboxing (Muay Thai for power, Savate for footwork and strategy). 3. Wrestling (Greco and Freestyle). 4. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. 5. Hard Style Kettlebells and calisthenics for conditioning. Now, each of these elements can be found within MMA. However, you'll need to modify each of them to work for you in the MMA environment! In other words, pure boxing has limitations within the confines of MMA. Pure kickboxing has limitations within the confines of MMA. Pure wrestling has limitations within the confines of MMA. Pure Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has limitations within the confines of MMA. Good training to you, Roy Harris
1/18/08 2:35 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Jan-08
InvisiblePinkUni, Here's the scoop on MMA: 1. There are people who train MMA and fight professionally. These students train hard. They have to train hard! Otherwise, they won't last very long in the game! 2. There are people who train MMA for fun. These school and students don't necessarily train hard! Some do, some don't. 3. There are schools out there that tell prospective students "We teach MMA" for the express purpose of making money. Their students believe they are training MMA, and they tell others they are training MMA at such and such an academy. What are they actually learning? It depends on who's doing the explaining. I've heard of everything from the mixture of karate, jujutsu and kung fu begin described as MMA, to the hard line schools that have boxing, wrestling and Jiu Jitsu calling their stuff MMA. My point in writing all of this is to say that: Everyone who trains MMA and fights professionally TRAINS HARD! However, now that more and more schools are telling their students, "We teach MMA", it's becoming harder and harder to define what really is MMA. It's a new term that many people are using to their own advantage. However, when the term was originally used, it referred to the people who fought for a living. Roy Harris
1/31/08 5:12 PM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Jan-08
Funny. I changed the name of my school from Cyclone MMA to Cyclone Martial arts because of that. Although we do MMA and it is one of our big programs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.