UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Smoked Lamb?

1/17/08 4:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
screwtop wine
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jan-08

Has anyone here ever done lamb on a smoker? Every recipe I have seen on the net for smoked lamb consists of like 25 mins of offset grilling for smoke flavour. I would think lamb would be a great meat for the smoke treatment. What say you?
1/17/08 5:58 PM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jan-08
I've never tried it, but I was reading up on it the other day on the Smoking Meat Forums. You should probably have a look at their site, they have a lot of cool smoking stuff going on.
1/18/08 11:03 AM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Jan-08
I did half of a bone-in leg of lamb on the smoker last summer....I rubbed the outside of it with half a lemon, and cut a bunch of slits in it, in which I stuffed a ton of garlic cloves. I rubbed the outside with salt, pepper, and a bunch of chopped fresh rosemary and thyme. I seared it over screaming high heat (I put a grate directly over the firebox on my smoker), then placed it into the smoker. I only cooked it to 145 degrees because I like my lamb pink - I'm not sure if there is enough connective tissue for it to fall apart like a pork shoulder or not. If you want "pulled lamb" type of consistency, I'd suggest using lamb shanks of something similar.

Some pics of the lamb....

1/18/08 11:47 AM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Jan-08
Nice, that looks like some good eating.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.