UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Attn: Roy, Question about Seminary

1/18/08 3:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Jan-08

Roy, If I remember correct you attended seminary for a while. Did you ever complete your seminary training? Which seminary did you attend and what was your emphasis?
1/21/08 12:39 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Jan-08
m.g.,

I did not complete my seminary training. I was given the boot in my first year  : (

Because of the reasons the President and Vice-President asked me to leave, the seminary will remain nameless. Also, because my stay there was so short, I never had the chance to major in anything. However, my heart was heading in the direction of foreign missions!

That experience at this seminary was a good experience for me. While it was difficult at that time, I can see how I matured from the series of events that followed. I wouldn't wish what I experienced on anyone else, but I can see the potential for great growth from the experience.

As things stand right now, I have been going through a "Pastor in Training" Program at my local church (The Rock Church San Diego - http://www.therocksandiego.com/). I have been asked to teach several classes, write curriculum, and be involved in various other projects. I am very happy where I am !

It was intertesting how I went from "Atheist" to "Devout Christian" to "Hypocrite" and back over the course of almost twenty years. I am in the process of finishing an article on my experiences over the years. I will publish it on my website for all to read and learn from.

Thanks for asking!

Roy Harris
1/21/08 11:40 PM
4 Ranges
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jan-08 11:04 AM
Roy...I tell you, you NEVER cease to amaze me! :) Not everyone has the guts to live a life based purely on their principles and beliefs, and really ACT on those principles and beliefs. You, sir, are a sterling example of someone that has the beliefs, and has the guts to live by them.
1/22/08 2:22 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jan-08
4 ranges,

Thank you for your kind and generous words! They mean a lot to me!

I feel very fortunate to have experienced all that I have experienced in life. While all of it has not been good, all of it has not been bad either. In both cases (the good and the bad), I have learned lessons from all of them. Here are a couple of examples:

I. Once sin has been dealt with in a person's life, God promises to be faithful those who (daily) put their trust in Him. And while some very bad things have happened from time to time (and will continue to happen), the fact remains in my life: Jesus Christ has been faithful. Hundreds of BIG and SMALL prayers have been answered over the course of two decades. What kind of prayers you ask? Here are just a few:

1. While suffering through a difficult time financially (27 years ago), I got on my knees in my living room and prayed for help with food. In less than a minute, I heard a knock at my door. I opened the door and found two bags full of groceries sitting on the ground. No one was around.

2. During this same period of time, I met a man at a church convention who knew nothing about what I was going through. To make along story short, while we were talking to each other, he reached into his back pocket, pulled out his wallet and said these words, "Brother, I love God. I feel lead of God's Spirit to do this." With that, he opened his wallet and handed me $420 in twenty dollar bills. He gave me a hug and walked away from me. I stood there speechless - especially since no one at the convention knew my financial status.

3. I brought a friend of mine to church with me many years ago. A traveling minister was teaching at our church. This minister had a gift called "Word of Knowledge." In other words, God spoke to him about people's lives and he told them what they needed to hear. To make a long story short, this minister was teaching a bible study. In the middle of his teaching, he grabbed the wireless microphone and walked through the pews, touching people, praying for them and telling them about their lives. It was interesting to watch. After talking to several people, he walked up to me and stared at me. He looked over at my friend, reached out and touched him and began to pray. The minister opened his eyes and began to tell my friend about all of the medical problems he had been having with his body in recent months and recent years. He told my friend, "If you will walk up to the altar right now and believe God, he will not only forgive you of your sins, be He will heal you of these medical problem!" He walked away from my friend and began praying for someone else. Unfortunately, my friend did not walk up to the altar to pray. However, the fact that an unknown minister had presented an unusual demonstration of God's Spirit at work (and I had been there to witness it with my own eyes and ears) was very comforting to me!

4. Several students I have prayed for have given their lives and hearts to Jesus Christ in recent years. While I have spoken with some of them, others I have only prayed for. What did I pray? I asked my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to draw them by His Spirit. I asked Him to demonstrate His love, concern and care for them. I asked Him to help them see and understand what it truly means to follow Christ (not just become religious). I had prayed for one person for ten years; for another, seven years; for another, five years; and yet for another, three years. (NOTE: I did not proselytize these students. Rather, I answered their questions when they came to my office to speak with me. I encouraged them to find out for themselves whether or not these things were valid. And, I prayed for them daily, weekly, monthly.)

I could go on, but I think you understand that Jesus Christ has not only presented Himself to me, but he has proved His love and care for me! This has truly touched my soul and has given me purpose in life!

II. A few years ago, I taught a Defensive Tactics Instructor course for a "Federal Agency."  During that course, an agent who attended the course asked me a lot of questions. I answered all of his defensive tactics questions and finished the course.

Fast-forward two years....

This same agent e-mailed me and told me the following:

"I attended your Defensive Tactics Instructor course a couple of years ago. One of the things I observed about you was the calmness and peace you had about you. After going through what I have gone through these past few years, I want what you have."

So, we began conversing over e-mail about God, life, marriage, kids, corruption and many other topics. To make a long story short, this man dedicated his life to Jesus Christ. I am so happy for him. He is in the process of becoming a new man!

Very soon into our conversations, I sent him a copy of a great book ("The Samson Syndrome" - http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Syndrome-Learn-Baddest-Bible/dp/0785264477). This book outlined his life (as well as the lives of strong men around the globe). Here is the table of contents:

Chapter One: Strong men tend to disregard boundaries.
Chapter Two: Strong men tend to struggle with lust.
Chapter Three: Strong men tend to ignore good advice.
Chapter Four: Strong men tend to break rules.
Chapter Five: Strong men tend to overestimate their own cleverness.
Chapter Six: Strong men tend to use anger as a tool.
Chapter Seven: Strong men tend to repeat the same mistakes.
Chapter Eight: Strong men tend to have big egos.
Chapter Nine: Strong men tend to take foolish risks.
Chapter Ten: Strong men tend to struggle with intimacy.
Chapter Eleven: Strong men tend to take too much for granted.
Chapter Twelve: Strong men tend to lose sight of the big picture.

After reading this book, he saw a lot of himself in Samson. Still, he couldn't find the strength to make the changes in his life. However, life had an interesting experience for him - one that would definitely change the course of his life - and, it happened just one day before Christmas!

Continued....
1/22/08 2:24 AM
Roy Harris

Edited: 22-Jan-08
Without going into the details, this strong, confident, cocky, good looking, athletic federal agent found himself in a situation that no one could pull him out of. He had embarrassed his wife, his kids, his friends AND his employer. He had suddenly HIT BOTTOM! Well, we talked and prayed and discussed many matters. I am proud to say that he is back on course with life and is doing well!

It's been a rewarding AND interesting experience working with this gentleman, especially since he lives a couple thousand miles away from me. It has been a blessing to share some of what I know with him, and then watch him take a hold of it and begin to RUN with it!!!

III. In recent months, I have been praying for patience. While I (and many of my closest friends) believe I am a patient person, I have asked the Lord to give me even more patience.

How does a person become stronger at something? They do so by learning to encounter resistance!

Well, in recent months, more and more cantankerous and downright MEAN people have been crossing my path. Each time I am in contact with these people (or have to deal with them), they always seem to find that one nerve that is sensitive for that day. It's amazing!

Anyways, over the past year or so, I have grown in the "patience" department. I am nowhere near perfect, but I am a couple of steps closer. For example: Several months ago, a former student of mine took me to court and SUED me. He told all kinds of lies in court and.......well, he wanted me to refund all of his money, plus pay for the “undue stress” that I had caused in his life.

To make a long story short, we ended up in court – and boy was I hot under the collar. When someone outright LIES about me, it quivers my liver! Well, we present our version of what actually happened at my academy to the judge. When it was all said and done, the judge ruled in my favor. Whew….case closed…..or so I thought.

Well, this guy decides to take it a step farther by e-mailing me and calling me a liar. He puts bad intentions on everything I have ever said to him and……well things just got blown out of proportion.

While praying one day, I feel lead of God’s Spirit to give this man his money back and apologize to him. Of course, the part of me that wants to shin kick this guy gets in the way and I argue with the Lord about what I sense. Long story short, I understand the Lord is trying to teach me about patience through suffering. So, I get out my checkbook, write this guy a check for his requested amount and mail it to him. In the end, I learn a valuable and unforgettable lesson!

Rolando, I could go on for hours about many of the things I have experienced in life (and what I have learned from each of them), but I won’t bore you with the details (unless you express a desire to know more). Suffice it to say that I am fully confident in what I believe and trust in.

I am a firm believer in personal experience! Had I not experienced all that I have experienced, I would not believe as strongly as I do. And while I will never SHOVE religion down anyone’s throat, I am confident enough to share what I know - because I have read it, prayed it, and lived it (hypocritically and vividly) !

May you learn something of value from my experiences!

Sincerely,

Roy Harris
1/23/08 7:56 AM
fishluv

Edited: 23-Jan-08 08:17 AM
God has givin me everything anyone could ever want in life. A lovely wife and child, a wonderful home ,a wonderful job (its in the Fed Gov. but i like it) and the list goes on. The only thing to make my life complete will be time and money for BJJ lessons! I am a patient man, it will come.Roy, I find your work inspirational.
1/23/08 5:21 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jan-08 05:27 PM
Wow, I'm glad I started this thread. Great testimonies. Here's another question for you Roy: When were you saved?
1/23/08 5:33 PM
Roy Harris

Edited: 23-Jan-08
fishluz, Thanks! If Christ is at the center of your life, He's also given you the gift of Eternal Life - A most important and precious gift !!! ------- m.g., Jesus Christ VIVIDLY and DEMONSTRABLY entered my life on Sunday, September 9, 1979, at 9:30pm! I remember it like it was yesterday ! ) Roy
1/23/08 8:15 PM
4 Ranges

Edited: 23-Jan-08
You're very welcome Comrade Roy. What's wonderful about your experiences is that they are, like your martial arts experiences, DIRECT and FIRST-HAND. It's what STRONG beliefs are founded on, and I'm very happy to read them, because it helps me re-examine my own experiences, and gives me courage to seek out more of my own. Wonderful thread. :)
1/24/08 8:52 PM
sovann

Edited: 24-Jan-08
Roy, the grace and peace of Jesus shine in you, what a great story about forgiving your student. I don't think I could do the same. It inspires me to let go of some unforgiveness in myself. I've been seeing the healing power of stories in peoples' lives and it is always great to read your's, even the painful ones.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.