UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> a BBQ question

1/19/08 1:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bitty22
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Jan-08

I have been smoking boston butts for a little while now. My really good friend ,the local game warden, got me into it and i just love smoking them. I was wondering if you prefer making your own rub or if you like a store bought one? I love the stuff i buy online, but was wondering what everyone else does. We live in tennessee and see alot of different versions of bbq, but it seems making pulled pork at home always tastes better.  

1/19/08 2:47 PM
crescentwrench
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I usually throw one together from stuff in my pantry.  It starts with brown sugar, some salt and pepper, and enough paprika to make it red.  Then it's just pour in the bowl and stir.  Onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, uhhh, mexican oregano, whatever. 
1/19/08 3:41 PM
bitty22

thanks for the reply,   did you just do this by trial and error or go by some type of rub recipe? I really think next time i wanna try making my own to see what i can do, but what im using now works so well.
1/20/08 10:17 AM
crescentwrench
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jan-08
I just do it to where it tastes right.  I add more stuff, taste, add a little more etc.  If it means making a crapload so be it, it will get used eventually.  I have to tell you that I'm also not one to spend a lot of effort on bringing out the delicate notes of a particular spice, especially after a few hours in the smoker.  Some of the guys on here can debate the merits of apple vs cherry smoke whereas to me there is but two:  Mesquite and other.  I can't tell shit about anything not very bold in scale. 

Anyway, Alton Brown broke down the do it yourself rubs in the ratio of 8:3:1:1.  Portions can be anything, spoon, cup, barrel.  The ingredients are

8 portions of brown sugar (packed)

3 portions of kosher salt

1 portion of chili powder

1 portion of all other spices combined

Now I've tried this and I, like a few others, think this is a bit too salty. I suggest starting with an 8:2:1:1 ratio just in case. 

The last "1" in Alton's recipe goes like this (In this case his portions were tablespoons)

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning

1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning

1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

I also think you can maybe get away with a somewhat higher proportion of those supporting spices. It's whatever is to your taste, go crazy.

1/20/08 7:46 PM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've always made one, and am always trying different recipes for it. Here's the next one I plan to try: Boogie (BBQ Rub) The rub recipe to end all rub recipes. Boogie is as good on chicken breasts thrown on a grill as it is slow smoked pulled pork. There really isn't a meat out there that this rub isn't perfect for. ? cup firmly packed light brown sugar ? cup sweet paprika 3 tablespoons black pepper 3 tablespoons kosher salt 1 tablespoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon Morton's Hot Salt 2 teaspoons garlic powder 2 teaspoons onion powder 2 teaspoons celery seeds Mix it all together really well, and use on your favorite BBQ or grilling meat. For best results, apply to meat at least 2 hours before cooking. Overnight is even better.
1/20/08 7:58 PM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've always made one, and am always trying different recipes for it. Here's the next one I plan to try: Boogie (BBQ Rub) The rub recipe to end all rub recipes. Boogie is as good on chicken breasts thrown on a grill as it is slow smoked pulled pork. There really isn't a meat out there that this rub isn't perfect for. 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar 1/4 cup sweet paprika 3 tablespoons black pepper 3 tablespoons kosher salt 1 tablespoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon Morton's Hot Salt 2 teaspoons garlic powder 2 teaspoons onion powder 2 teaspoons celery seeds Mix it all together really well, and use on your favorite BBQ or grilling meat. For best results, apply to meat at least 2 hours before cooking. Overnight is even better.
1/20/08 7:58 PM
Tys

Sorry about the formatting, I'm not smart enough to fix it.
1/21/08 10:27 AM
bitty22

Edited: 21-Jan-08
thanks for the replys,  i think im gonna give it a try this weekend, maybe even do 2 different butts. I do also agree with Mesquite,  but i havent really tried anything else yet,   thank you for all your input, i will let you know how it goes! 
1/21/08 11:45 AM
Tys

Edited: 21-Jan-08
For the pork I'd use an apple wood, hickory, or combination of the two. I always think of mesquite as being for a heavier meat, like Beef.
1/22/08 3:25 PM
Mullet @ Heart
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jan-08
Hickory and pecan for me.
2/15/08 8:23 PM
cumprido1
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Feb-08
Usually apple & pecan.
2/16/08 8:40 AM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Feb-08
I don't like mesquite at all - I think it's bitter as hell after a couple of hours of smoking. I use oak and lump charcoal as my main fuel, and a combination of hickory, apple, and maple for flavoring.

There's a maple farm near me that is selling maple wood crazy cheap, so I'll probably switch to that (I've been stealing oak from my neighbor for the last two years, and his supply is starting to dwindle)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.