UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Candy Making

1/19/08 3:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crescentwrench
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Jan-08

Specifically Butter Toffee Pecans

I have never tried my hand at candy making because 1.  I haven't cared to deal with something that sticks like glue and boils your skin off and 2.  I'm not a 80 year old grandmother.   So the wife went to the local fancy schmancy chocolate place and got, along with $20 in chocolate in a box the size of my palm, these candied pecans. 

They're just a hard caramel coating around pecans.  The ingredients are pecans, butter, sugar, and salt.  And it was tree fitty for 2 ounces.  Do I shit ropes of silver, woman?  Anyway, I now must recreate this recipe in bulk because I am not losing paychecks on their goddamn pecans.   It looks like they just boiled the coating to a certain temp and then tossed in the pecans because the shell is all craggy and whatnot.  Anyone know how to make these evil little pieces of deliciousness? 
1/22/08 1:04 AM
Chesty LaRue
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jan-08
MIght not be exactly the same, but Pecan Pralines:
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 cups chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS

1. Generously butter baking sheets.
  2. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat (Read: about 7), combine brown sugar, white sugar, water, vanilla and butter. Bring to a rapid boil and stir in pecans. Continue to cook and stir until large bubbles form on the surface, pecans begin to look sugary and mixture just begins to color. Remove from heat and drop by rounded spoonfuls onto prepared sheets. Let cool completely.
You could throw a touch of salt in to but the sweetness just a bit
1/22/08 2:12 AM
Chesty LaRue

Why dost thou say so, Ray?
1/22/08 2:26 AM
Chesty LaRue

I like cherry pie
1/22/08 11:22 AM
crescentwrench
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chesty have you made pralines with that recipe before?  My mom makes what she calls pralines around Christmas but hers are soft, almost like inside a Snickers rather than a hard shell.  What I'm going for looks like this, with separate pieces coated with a hard but not teeth shattering shell. 

Link to page if picture no workie

I'm going to try something on my own for an experiment. Cross your fingers that it doesn't explode scalding hot sugar lava into my face.

1/22/08 3:31 PM
Chesty LaRue

Pralines are supposed to have a soft shell, but every time I have made them, they get a hard shell... I think I boil past the "soft ball stage"
The praline recipe I use is different - it has corn syrup, cream of tartar, icing sugar, etc... I thought this one looked similar to the ingredients you used.
1/26/08 11:15 AM
Xtina

Edited: 26-Jan-08
pralines!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.