UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> BJJ over 40 + scarfhold ?

1/22/08 10:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cherrypicker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jan-08

Hi Roy, First I want to say I quit jiu jitsu 2 years ago as I was sick of it. I am 40 now and have started up again. I got BJJ over 40 when it came out, and put it on my shelf after watching it. Well tonight was my first night back in training, and I was using the postures and positioning and it went great. I watched the DVD last night, and remembered how good it is. The only time I got tapped was when I went to my knees. I was doing great from the bottom. Thanks for a great product. BJJ is fun again. My instructor is is certified to teach under you, and he is doing a great job. My question is when I do the basic bridge and roll scarf-hold escape where should my arms grab around? I am thinking there would be more leverage wrapping around the waist as close as possible. Thanks
1/22/08 11:52 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jan-08
I would recommend wrapping your arms either around his waist or around his armpits. Both will give you the leverage you need. However, one position usually feels better than the other, or one position is unavailable while the other one is more accessible.

Roy Harris
1/23/08 12:22 AM
Cherrypicker

Edited: 23-Jan-08
Thanks
1/23/08 11:28 PM
Mr Mike from NC
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jan-08
Interesting. I'm 40 and, I stumbled around BJJ on and, off from 2003 to 2006 and, suffering a few injuries and, never really thought that I would improve until I bought "BJJ over 40." Learning the basic ovements and, posture, along with a mentality of escape and, control (especially that side control escape that twinkletoes put on youtube)taught me that staying with BJJ was worth it in the long run. I've told a number of new guys the same thing and, they seem to be very enthused about coming to class. I don't submit many people, but if I can escape and, place a blue belt into the mount, or side control and, keep them there, I feel like I'm doing something good. Thank you Mr. Harris!
1/24/08 4:47 PM
Cherrypicker

Edited: 24-Jan-08
Mike, Do you have a link for that vid?
1/24/08 5:44 PM
Mr Mike from NC
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jan-08
I just checked the Harris site and, it's now gone! I think it might be one of the videos he's planning on refilming. Budovideos is selling it, though. I also think Adam LaClair may see it as well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.