UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Easy, Flavorful, Vinigairettes?

1/22/08 10:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SE7ENFOLD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jan-08

I've just got into using vinigarettes on my salad rather than the regular thick soupy Italian dressings. Does anyone have any good suggestions of product to buy or any easy recipes to make? I've had the basic vinigarette, and a raspberry vinigarette, what else should I try?
1/22/08 10:45 PM
bigwilly

Edited: 22-Jan-08
try some different oils, walnut, macadamian, pumpkin seed, avocado oil comes to mind, you can sub wine or citrus juice for vinegar, or mix and match here and there, adding prepared sauces, like mustards and sambals really can be nice, remember, vinaigrettes are just a step away from being fresh mayonnaise
1/23/08 10:38 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jan-08
I have been making one with olive oil, homemade chili vinegar and a touch of soy sauce. Good mustard helps out a vinegarette a lot.
1/23/08 2:55 PM
attjack

Edited: 23-Jan-08
You can't go wrong with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. You don't even have to mix it. Just drizzle on high quality olive oil, and then the balsamic.
1/28/08 2:05 PM
SE7ENFOLD

Edited: 28-Jan-08
I made a nice fresh one with mustard, cider vinigar, and oil and a pinch od sugar, S & P..... It was nice.
1/29/08 7:34 AM
Orchid Man

Edited: 29-Jan-08 08:35 AM
Some finely minced shallot is nice. Tarragon (fresh or dried) is good, too. Even if you're using vinegar, always have at least a squeeze, if not more, of fresh citrus. A very nice alternative to lemon is sour orange (1/2 orange juice, 1/2 lime). Also, always put a tiny bit of sweet in there (a pinch of sugar or, even better, a dash of honey).
1/29/08 11:23 AM
MikeZev
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jan-08
i like white balsamic vinegar shallot and extra virgin with a nice helping of black pepper. once in a while i'll go for rice wine vinegar, red wine vinegar with wasabi and a dab of mayo.
2/10/08 10:16 PM
SE7ENFOLD

Edited: 10-Feb-08
What about mixing 2 different vinegars ( cider/balsamic) into one mix......? Will that mess shit up?
2/29/08 5:00 PM
Lancifer
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Feb-08

I used attjack's method last night.  drizzled balsamic and EVOO over spinach with walnuts, bleu cheese and red onion.

a little cracked pepper and kaKOW!!

Boosh!

3/7/08 10:19 PM
Columi

Edited: 07-Mar-08
I really like olive oil, balsemic v and a quality mustard
3/8/08 11:57 AM
rerox

Edited: 08-Mar-08
experiment with different acids and oils as said above, and always use a quality mustard. It just helps form a good emulsion to help keep the vin stable, on top of that it's just plain tasty. Try using fresh herbs too and experiment with things like chervil, cilantro, saw leaf, tarragon, etc.... The not so healthy but tasty route would be subbing olive oil with bacon fat or duck fat, I just wouldnt do it every day. ;) These dont hold up as well seeing that these fats go rancid faster than most processed oils. Some possible flavors to use off the top of my head: Oils/Fats: Olive, almond, hazlenut, walnut, truffle (sparingly), duck fat, pork fat, sesame (cut with another oil), peanut, avocado (very tasty) Acids: Vinegars (balsamic, red wine, champagne, rice wine, tarragon, etc.), Fresh citrus (lemons, limes, oranges, pomello, grapefruit, pineapple juice, you get the picture.) wines (red, white, fortified) Emulsifiers: Mustards, fresh garlic, honey additional: Herbs, shallots, bacon bits, dried spices, fresh fruits, purees....endless possibilities!! Just my two cents..... Carlo

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.