UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> thoughts on Tim Sylvia

1/25/08 10:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MountainMedic
566 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Jan-08

he is under rated, been sayin it for a while. but i really don't know how this fight goes

BEEFCAKE!!!!!

-MM

1/26/08 11:59 AM
joecanada
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Jan-08
Actually, I don't give him as much of a shot vs Fedor as I do vs Nog. Fedor has a track record of smashing big tall strikers. Nog, second to none in the MMA ground game, is not a takedown wizard. Tim will likely try to grind him into the fence for most of the fight while underhooking to avoid the clinch takedown, or will simply hide behind his one-off jabs and crosses while trying to force Nog to shoot from outside or bull rush -- both techniques being unlikely to succeed. Nog has what I would consider to be better striking than Tim, but he doesn't have the power Tim does and will have to be careful (read: hesitant) in the exchanges which will make it tough to close the distance past Tim's jab/cross. Tim is a much harder fight for Nog than he would be for Fedor, and Nog IMHO is a much harder fight for Fedor than Tim would be.
1/26/08 1:05 PM
ron den otter

Good post, joecanada. Sylvia has fought some of his fights in a risk-averse (safe) way. But he'll never silence critics by using those kinds of (legal) tactics, just doing enough to win. People expect heavyweights to win in dramatic fashion and to take chances. Pedro Rizzo would have been a much more popular fighter if he hadn't fought so cautiously so many times. It's not only about winning, but putting on an exciting show. Tim rarely does that. -Ron
1/26/08 1:09 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Toss up IMO. Sylvia has the tools to beat Nog, and vice versa.
1/26/08 1:09 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Toss up IMO. Sylvia has the tools to beat Nog, and vice versa.
2/3/08 5:21 AM
joecanada

Edited: 03-Feb-08
Looks like I was right. Tim put on a good showing and (hopefully) silenced some of his critics, even in defeat. Nog will lead the Zombie Apocalype. What the hell do you have to do to this guy to get him to lay down?
2/3/08 5:25 AM
Sadyv

"What the hell do you have to do to this guy to get him to lay down?" Hard to say, as apparently KO'ing him doesn't work, as his body just goes on autopilot until his brain wakes back up.
2/3/08 6:44 AM
rockyboy

Sylvia is as real as it gets when comes to top10 fighters, but I think as a title contender he should lay back for a while now. Correct me if I was wrong, Big Tim has the most title challenge opportunities in the history of UFC, 4 times.
2/27/12 11:55 PM
D241
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - I think he'll lose to Nog, but that won't change the fact that Tim is one of the best heavies in the world.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.