UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Ilustrisimo empty hands

1/26/08 4:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Siciliano
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Jan-08

Uncle Roy, What was your experience in Ilustrisimo empty hands? The grappling techniques are so unique and so like Muay Thai. The disarms are the quickest, most efficient centerline based techniques I've experienced among other FMA styles. I am in awe . . .
1/26/08 10:54 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Siciliano, I have limited exposure to the empty hands of Ilustrisimo. I've spent 98% of my time with the sword and espada y punta. What little experience I do have is with dagger and sword disarms. On one evening during my sword training with Mang Romy, I asked him to show me some dagger disarms. He proceeded to show me 12 minutes worth of disarms, one right after the other! It was an amazing display of knowledge and skill. Next, he had me sit down on a chair. He came behind me, put a dagger to my neck, held on to my left arm and asked me what I would do in this situation. I replied, "Pray.....cuz I don't know what to do when someone has control of my left arm and the dagger in contact with my neck!" Mang Romy then said, "Let me show you." He then proceeded to show me another display of disarm after disarm. I was in awe! The most memorable demonstration I saw of Ilustrisimo was with Mang Romy and his son Rom Rom. We were talking about dealing with multiple assailants. Mang Romy asked his son to demonstrate while he and I and another person tried to assault Rom Rom. When I saw Rom Rom do what he did, I was floored by the simplicity of the defense! I remember thinking, "Who thinks up this stuff? Man! I wish I had began my training in Ilustrisimo back in the early 1980's!" Kalis Ilustrisimo is such a well thought out art. I am SO GLAD Myles Vives introduced me to Mang Romy during my first trip to the PI in September of 1999! I am so glad I chose to train with him instead of the other FMA Master and Grand Masters I was supposed to meet and train with. While I am sure each of them could have taught me something valuable, I am so glad I got the chance to experience Kalis Ilustrisimo. As a result of my experience, I can now see THE VAST difference between stick work and sword work (cuz in the past, I believed like everyone else; that the stick is the same as the sword, which is the same as the dagger, etc...) For this, I am forever thankful to Myles Vives for making the introduction! Roy Harris
1/26/08 2:55 PM
Siciliano
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Jan-08 03:04 PM
Check out pinoymma.com. Me and Myles Vives post there a lot. Myles just came out of the Rampage fight camp. Yes. Was with Rom-Rom last night. He showed me so many different disarming variations that it literally blew my mind. WOW! He's been my training partner in Muay Thai nowadays. His ability to pick up the little nuances about Muay Thai (despite his very limited training time) just blows up my mind. Same way how his skill level catapulted from that of a beginner white belt to a developed blue belt in a couple of months still amazes me. He will be an integral part of my training for my Thai fight next month. Stay tuned!
1/26/08 2:57 PM
Siciliano

"As a result of my experience, I can now see THE VAST difference between stick work and sword work (cuz in the past, I believed like everyone else; that the stick is the same as the sword, which is the same as the dagger, etc...) For this, I am forever thankful to Myles Vives for making the introduction! " Ahhh! Just finished discussing this topic with Rom-Rom. Insightful! WOW!!!
2/18/08 9:31 PM
Siciliano

Edited: 18-Feb-08
Roy, Can I have your new e-mail addy? I sent a message on your runbox account. Does it still work? Also, have you checked out the Fight Quest Kali episode? Wasn't impressed at all. Anyway, check out the gym that was supposed to be "very secret" that Jimmy went to. I'm sure you're very familiar with it.
2/19/08 12:39 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Feb-08
Siciliano, I just responded to your e-mail. Sorry for taking so long. My inbox receives 50+ good e-mails per day, and I can only respond to so many. I did see the Fight Quest Kali episode. It wasn't impressive at all. Roy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.