UnderGround Forums

NHLGround >> Skill a joke!

1/27/08 1:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kungfugrip
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Jan-08

What a joke the skill comp was last night. A few conplains. First thanks to VS for fuckn up the break part. The idea to follow behind the skater so you can't see shit work well. Second complaint. Judging the breakaway. Datsuik(spelling help) fools the goalie, sending him to the other side of the net, as he pushes the puck into the empty net and gets a 4. Next guys does a trick and doesn't even score gets a 9. WTF? You shouldn't get any points if you aren't creative enough to fool the goalie. Another things I disliked buy understand, is changing the fastest skater event to the quickest skater. But I guess, quickness is more important.
1/27/08 2:46 PM
Mark1

More lame BS by the league to "generate excitement". I was forced to watch it on CBC. The commentators were talking over the judges. WTF? Shut up and let Scott Mellanby share his fascinating insight before he sobers up. ugh... I felt bad for everyone involved. It was a joke. Mark
1/27/08 3:29 PM
Mr B Rock
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it seems like it was put on by a bar league.  i fell asleep during it, but the parts i did see (mainly the quickest skater) were awful, i think the timer was opposite and nobody seemed to care.  I might be wrong but who i thought won just about every race was wrong way wrong.

1/27/08 5:57 PM
Extendo
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was pretty bad, agreed.
1/28/08 1:38 AM
Steamfitter

Edited: 28-Jan-08
A complete farce.
1/28/08 2:26 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kovalchuck clearly beat Horcoff in the fastest skater but because the clock was fucked they give it to him anyways? Then it looked like Campbell didn't care in the final. The whole thing was silly but hardest shot is something I don't mind seeing.
1/28/08 4:07 AM
PR
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meh, I liked it. Seems pretty bush league though. They need to get the players to come up with skill events... the more fun the players have, the more enjoyable event. Here's my idea to get things rolling - charity. Have charity $ up for grabs... let each player pick a charity and if they win the $ goes to their charity.... it'll definitely get the competitiveness up... no player would want to be accused of not trying to win $ for their charity. Have a money list of the players... who's won the most for charity. Have the NHL put up the charity $, and get the NHLPA and sponsors to match the charity money. Instead of measuring who wins by "goals", measure it by money won for charity, with a bonus $50,000 going to the winning team's charity. I'm not sure this will work... but maybe move the game to the pre-season. In between the pre-season games and the start of the season. Have an all-star team play the defending Stanley Cup champs. But the key is that this game COUNTS for 2 pts... the champs get a chance to get 2pts... while the other players are trying to stop them Sure players on the all-star team in the other conference wont care if say the Ducks get 2pts, but the peer pressure will be put on by their teammates who are in the conference. Pros: more competition, the Cup champs get a chance at a bonus, the extra 2 pts would help the Cup champs avoid post-cup playoff misses, less fringe "all-stars" since you only have to make one team instead of two.
1/29/08 10:47 AM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jan-08
Looks like the NHL just wanted to do their version of the slam dunk contest, but it stupid cause its much harder to get the puck in the net cause there is a goalie there. NHL has to stop the EAST vs. west in a skills competition. These way we can actually get the players with the hardest shots in the hardest shot competition, get the fastest skaters in the skating one, best shootout players in their new elimination one....it would be way better this way.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.