UnderGround Forums

MLBGround >> Johan-Mania in Flushing

1/29/08 5:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BJJ GJJ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jan-08

Mets just went from wherever they were to 100 wins in 2008. Perez and Maine already 15 game winners should improve to 17, Pedro Martinez 100% healthy off his surgey should be in the 4 slot but will go 1-2 with Santana, that's all world. That staff to go along with their american league line-up. And for the Mets to pull this off without giving up Fernando Martinez, Mike Pelfrey, or Aaron Heilman, wow.
1/29/08 6:06 PM
BJJ GJJ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the best pitcher in baseball, second to Beckett, you take the lefty. Lock Santana in for 21 wins easily, this is not the american league this is not the Metrodome, this is Shea stadium, the most difficult hitting park in the league. These aren't the Yankees or Red Sox or Tigers he will be facing, it is national league line-ups and he is going to straight up chew them up and spit them out dominate them.
1/29/08 6:07 PM
BJJ GJJ

5-6 game losing streaks are simply not going to exist for the Mets this year, not with Pedro Martinez and Johan Santana back to back in your rotation.
1/29/08 11:55 PM
Zoso
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is this a conversation with yourself? The pros. Honestly the price tag was remarkably low on Johan. Gomez was the biggest name involved and right now he is nothing but tools. I am personally not a huge fan of tools guys...way more fail than succeed(though when they succeed they are generally all stars). The negative is that the Mets essentially have no choice but to pay his price now. I am not a fan of paying out the nose for pitching(I know it is almost required) but it can haunt a team for SO long. Pitchers are one torn labrum away from being virtually worthless. While an injury is true with position players as well...more prevalent with pitchers to me. In the end get him signed and hope that he puts up big numbers for the next 5 years.
1/30/08 1:20 AM
WEB
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jan-08
as a twins fan i feel good and bad about this trade. Its tough to see him go, i would schedule my trips to the cities just to watch him pitch. its awesome watching hitters faces when they look like an idiot striking out from his changeup. On the good side, the twins get 4 players from the trade. Santana also was not going to resign with the twins or wave his no trade clause during the season ... both teams benefited from the trade ....
1/30/08 6:06 AM
rkjmd

Let's Go, Mets!
1/30/08 11:44 AM
GaydarBlane

I'm not disappointed with this trade. I was a bit hesitant about giving up good prospects for him, but would have been necessary if the Yankees were going to get him. If the Sox didn't get him, then it's better for my heart that he goes to the NL. btw, lol @ Petey being "100%".
1/30/08 11:58 AM
Cousin Eddie

He'll be 100% until at least May 1st.
2/3/08 5:31 PM
Cousin Eddie

Edited: 03-Feb-08
I have difficulty believing he will go from the best division in baseball (AL Central) to an average one (NL East), and get to face the pitcher 2-3 times a game, and not flourish. Santana has pitched a good amount of innings over the last 4 years, but Livan Hernandez and Roy Oswalt have both thrown more, off the top of my head. Very few people thought Zito was worth the contract he got back when he signed it, him struggling was not a surprise to many folks. He was 59-46 in the 4 years prior to signing that retarded contract they gave him. Schmidt is 35, and therefore an injury waiting to happen. I don't think either one is a good comparison to use when forecasting what type of season Santana will have with the Mets. I'm not sure what arm troubles you're talking about as far as Santana, any issues he's had certainly hasn't caused him to miss any time. Short of a long DL stint, I would imagine he'll win between 18 and 23 games, and finish with an ERA below 3 and a WHIP around 1.05.
3/7/08 12:03 AM
rkjmd

Edited: 07-Mar-08
Woo Hoo!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.