UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> techy question 4 cbr1000rr owners

1/31/08 1:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
the venerable dr wu
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Jan-08

i recently picked up a '06 cbr1000rr, great bike. apart from a very noisy (what sounds like) a timing chain tensioner in first gear at about 4000 revs (i know it's a race bike, but it rides in traffic at these revs and it's effing annoying). I've taken it to the shop, as this bike has only got 4900 kilometres and is under warranty, they are telling me not to worry about it, but i suspect they are blowing me off. question, do your blades make this noise in first gear at about 4000 revs, is it something that should be covered under warranty assuming it's the timing chain tensioner? sorry for FRAT. cheers. -wu
1/31/08 8:42 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Jan-08
Sounds like a metallic rattle at a certain RPM? Honda has made some bad cam chain tensioners in the past (f4i!) and you're not the only person to have the issue with the 1000rr. Do a quick google search and you'll come up with stuff. It TECHNICALLY can cause a catastrophic engine failure but I don't know of one person that has had that happen from a bad CCT. Most either keep getting dealer replacements of stock units, get a manual tensioner, or just ride with the noise. While there is no recall I know of you are well within your rights to have the dealer fix it under warranty. As many times as you want if it keeps going bad.
2/1/08 12:23 AM
bull neck
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Feb-08
I'm in Oz so it could be different, but they sent out a recall here for '06 Blades. There is a problem with an air vent pipe into the tank cracking at certain rpm ranges. They say "The air vent pipe in the fule tank may resonate at specific engine RPM causing a crack to develop in the brazed portion of the vent pipe". Given all bikes are made in Japan then sent out its likely that you could have the same problem too. My letter also says that, obviously, Honda will replace the whole tank unit free if necessary.
2/1/08 8:59 PM
the venerable dr wu
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Feb-08
thanks for the info guys, i did try a google search but couldn't come up with anything, might be using the wrong search words? i'm in brisbane myself bill so that could well be the case, i'm going to take it back to the dealership and just tell them to fix it. argue about the bill later.
2/2/08 3:04 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Feb-08
Google, 1000rr cct.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.