UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> The Driver Swing

2/1/08 8:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gforce
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Feb-08

One thing I still have huge trouble with is the driver. I know that you are supposed to strike down on the ball with irons and hit the driver on an upswing. I've been playing for years and I still cannot hit woods worth my life. I can, however, get out of sand nearly perfectly all the time (I am great from the sand--it's the other 99% of the course with grass on it that is the problem). Probably because I tend to swing down on everything... Is there a different swing that you employ with the driver as opposed to your irons, or do you make the same swing and let the forward ball placement take care of the ascending swing?
2/1/08 9:02 PM
Don Brad
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Feb-08

Because the driver has a longer shaft people think you need to hit a completely different shot. If you have a swing that works for you, I don't see why you need to change that just because you have the driver in your hand.

If you keep your posture correct throughout the swing you should have no trouble hitting the ball sweetly. Keep your weight on your left leg throughout the shot & you will hit the ball straighter & further than every before.

I assume that you don't hit your long irons good too huh? Let me know & I'll do my best to help you.

2/2/08 1:25 AM
Gforce
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Feb-08
I'm actually not too bad with the long irons. It was specifically the driver that I had huge problems with. I was actually 60-40 left leg to right leg. For the woods, I'm actually weighting the right leg more now which is finally allowing me to hit them.
2/3/08 10:57 AM
Don Brad

Edited: 03-Feb-08 11:03 AM

If your weight is on the right leg then you will never release all your weight behind the ball. Your weight will always be lagging too far to make a great connection. The idea of keeping your weight on the left leg & keeping your head as still as possible, is that you will release all your energy into the golf ball correctly. You are creating a base for you to fire your shot to the target.

Remember this... do what you always do & you will get what you always got.

Keep improving bud & when you find a swing that is compact & also limits the mistakes then you are onto a winner. If you are having problems with your driver then I suggest going to the range & just try to keep your head over the ball throughout the swing. The weight on the left leg is important for your hips to also release extra power into the shot. With your weight on the right foot it is impossible rotate your hips correctly.

Good luck with the Driver & I am sure that this will help you hit better drives.

2/4/08 10:06 AM
BigKiller

Edited: 04-Feb-08
^ignore most of what he said and take a lesson. The stack & tilt stuff is definitely not for everyone. Like everything in golf, it's different for each individual. My swing is pretty much the same for all clubs and I just change my setup.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.