UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> average time for ACL recovery?

2/3/08 6:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rabbivj
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Feb-08

I just had ACL Recon and an Menisectomy on my left knee about a month ago, the injury occurred 8 years ago in a lacrosse game. I can walk fine and Ive been doing all my exercises that PT gave me (i actually got discharged from PT 1 month after my surgery) when I sit for a while it takes me a second to get going. My question is how long does it normally take for a person to actually walk normal and smoothly? I know it takes an avg of 3-6 months for the acl to fully recover tho. Id appreciate the advice. Thanks.
2/10/08 5:24 AM
Palmala Handerson
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Feb-08
I would also like to know, I don't go in for surgery until September then the long wait begins....:(
6/13/08 1:06 PM
eabeam
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I had mine, my Doc and PT said that the ACL is not the issue.

They said that the meniscus does not get good circulation of blood, and that slows down healing.

I was near perfect with my nutrition and PT, and was looking at being cleared for full activity at about 4 months.

However, a slip set me back to 6 months. (I landed in what looked like a baseball slide == with the bad knee being the bent one.)
8/12/08 12:44 AM
cdueck
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You must keep in mind that your acl will be strong but the bone that it was screwed into is weaker that hell. The ligament needs to heal to your bone and the bone needs to fully heal as well.
I would suggest from personal experiance that you should wait for about six months before you really start training hard. Rehab aggresively just don't do anything that could comprimise the ligament. You need to really strengthen your leg so it can support your knee.

Just because it feels better doesn't mean it is healed....
10/13/08 4:26 PM
Yama-Arashi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 2 months out...walking normally going to the gym. Taking it slow since the muscles aren't there yet.
1/26/09 2:07 AM
4pdboxing
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am 2 and half weeks into my rehab.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.