UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Advice For a Friend

2/4/08 8:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Magicmike
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Feb-08

Well one of my friends is over weight (has no desire to fight mma) but I was put in charge to help him lose the weight while we are deployed. Hes a great soldier just the weight problem is holding him back from becoming a E5 and hes one of them guy who deserves to be a E5. Anyone know of any weight loss supplements or anything i can tell this guy to do, to lose some weight. thanks
2/4/08 9:50 AM
JeffMiller

First have him track his food intake -- I mean EVERYTHING (calories from fats, carbs, protein, and total). Have him do that everyday for week. Regardless of how he thinks he is eating, the paper won't lie. Then balance that with calories ingested vs used. If someone's diet is not in line, supplements won't help. And get him on a good weight training and cardio program. You need both for effective weight/fat loss. Just my experience and my opinion.
2/4/08 9:52 AM
RichW101

Don't worry about the supplements. They just give you the immediate weight loss but then you have to figure out how to keep it off. If he doesn't have any medical issues that are causing the weight issue, then he just needs to eat a good, well balanced diet and get into a good work out program. The Army PT program in most units is designed to maintain what you have so he will need to work out more than just your unit PT.
2/4/08 11:12 AM
alheymann

Are you at a FOB that has a complete medical facility? If so, then there's probably a nutritionist on staff that could help. A friend of mine lost 105 lbs listening to a nutritionist's advice: went from 325 to 220! And, most importantly, he kept it off.
2/4/08 7:08 PM
MAJLeavitt

I needed to lose about 40 lbs a few years back. I followed the Army Wieght Control Program Guide to the letter. Basically what everyone says above. Determine weight loss goal based on body type, size, etc. Write everything down, take in less calories then you burn. No supplements...they are a crutch and unecessary. Exercise and calories.
2/8/08 1:07 PM
Magicmike

Edited: 08-Feb-08
ok thanks guys
2/9/08 10:59 PM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Feb-08
What's up MAJ Miller!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.