UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Roy, Savate

2/4/08 10:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
groundfighter2000
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Feb-08

Roy did you happen to catch the show Fight Quest on Savate.
2/5/08 5:57 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Feb-08
No I did not. What can you tell me about it? Roy
2/5/08 7:19 AM
twinkletoesCT
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center
It was a really good presentation of (new style) sport Savate! There was even a fouette median to the liver that dropped one of the fighters.
2/5/08 12:07 PM
4 Ranges
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy, it was the BEST presentation of boxe francaise by far! The other shows were more "travelogue" style episodes, but these guys got to the heart of the "gym rat" mentality of boxe francaise training. The foutte median dropped the fighter TWICE.
2/5/08 12:59 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody know where I can watch this myself, or get a copy of it? I remember one time when one of my assistant instructors told me about a new student who didn't believe in the effectiveness of fouette median. I was told by my assistant instructor, "While you were away, teaching seminars, I had to deal with one of your new students who was telling other students in class that Savate kicks are useless." My response was, "Really?" So, the very next class, I laced up my Savate competition shoes and sparred with everyone. I made sure to FIRST spar with the individual who had made the comment. After my shoes had peppered everyone's gastrocnemii, common peroneal nerves, femoral nerves, stomach, xiphoid process, floating ribs, kidneys, spines, triceps and rear deltoids, I asked the class what they thought of the fouette. The response was overwhelmingly negative - They HATED getting kicked by the fouette median, especially with my shoes on. I then told the class, "I allowed all of you to experience this because I heard that SOME of you did not believe in the effectiveness of Savate. Now that each of you has personal experience being stopped by a solid fouette, I hope you that in the future, you will believe what my assistant instructors have to teach you when I am out of town. So what if they cannot kick like I can kick. You need to listen to what they have to teach you! Why? Cuz they represent ME when I am not here." Fouette median is one of my favorite techniques! It is the first technique of Savate that grabbed my attention - cuz I got dropped by it at a Salem Assli seminar! Up until that point in time, I had never had someone kick me in the stomach so hard. I mean, it felt like the tip of his shoes touched my spine THROUGH my stomach. While the reaction was delayed, I do remember thinking to myself, "Dang, his toes touched my spine! Uh................I'm falling !" Roy Harris
2/6/08 8:35 AM
tucker713

Edited: 06-Feb-08
Here is the link Roy: http://www.stage6.com/user/EvilMasterMMA/video/2173272/Fight-Quest---s01e06---Savate
2/6/08 1:49 PM
Roy Harris

Edited: 06-Feb-08
Thanks! Roy
2/7/08 10:47 AM
4 Ranges

Edited: 07-Feb-08
Fouette median as teaching tool, I like it. :)
2/7/08 2:22 PM
lautaro

Edited: 07-Feb-08
Thanks very much for the link! Lautaro
2/12/08 6:29 AM
Siciliano
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Feb-08
LOL at tip of the shoe touching the spine. Uncle Roy, Next time you're here, you better show me and Rom-Rom some Savate. He is so fascinated by the stories I told him about this art. I remember you demoing some kicks back at Tom Dy's gym circa 2004.
2/12/08 10:58 AM
Roy Harris

Toby, On my next visit, I will show you and Rom-Rom some of the old form of Savate, and some of the new form! Roy
2/12/08 8:12 PM
4 Ranges

The old and new forms are BOTH slick and tricky!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.