UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Techniques vs Principles

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tony Blauer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.

"I was unconsciously learning some basic physics of human movement if you will." Mike, youre absolutely right in your assessment and that model is something I base my physical training on as well; appreciation fo rhow the body & mind moves during stress. Thats one of the great things about wrestling, the movement is pure because the tactics are worked and tested under pressure. At a minimum, 'correct drilling in a force vs force phase [operative concept] creates tactical and technical endurance, but psychologically it also creates tenacity and will fo rthose who try harder. So while the more technical moves might have eluded you, the foundational principles didnt. Good work, good assessment. Tony
3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
1mustFall
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02
Hi,

From what little I've seen, I enjoy Tony's philosophies and approaches, and I plan to get one of his video packages. I'm interested in what his angle on the following idea is and if it touches on any of his methods of teaching.

First a little story. When I was kid, actually not too long ago:) I took a season of wrestling. They mostly taught us techniques. The basic ones we drilled over and over until we had them pretty well memorized, the more complicated multiple phase ones usually went right over my head. I never did very well in the few competitions I went to and never tried wrestling again. Shortly after the season ended I forgot most of the moves I learned. A few months later I was standing around, and a friend snuck up behind me and put me into a tight choke hold(just playing around) And before I (and him for that matter) knew what I was doing, I broke free, and slammed him on the ground in front of me. He kinda gave me this dazed "how did you do that look". I still don't know exactly how I did it. It was nothing genious I'm sure, but it seemed like it then:)

The point is, they never taught us any kind of move for when your being choked from behind, and even if they did I certainly wouldn't have remembered it in the "heat of the moment" like that. I just instinctively/reflexively did it. Ive had a few other similar intances happen b4 as well. This is my take on it. By repeatedly drilling wrestling moves and sparring with numerous teamates for several months, I was unconsciously learning some basic physics of human movement if you will.

While the individual moves/techniques pretty much went in one ear and out the other, a few of the principles stuck. And when that situation arose those principles which were ingrained in my subconscious, formulated a move,and took action before I had even decided whether to fight or not. Ive always thought this had some profound applications to learning self defense(probablly anything for that matter). I look forward to your angle on this. Mike

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.