UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Training Knife Defense

2/5/08 4:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
merryprankster_au
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Feb-08

Was wondering what a good alternative to the rubber knife was? The lack of "punishment" for a mistake (i.e it does not hurt at all to be "stabbed") had been a concern but obvioulsy a real knife is a little to much punishment:) As myself and training partner are new to this type of training we are getting "stabbed" quite regularly, so don't want anyting to agonizing:)
2/6/08 12:58 AM
Skpotamus
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Feb-08
Why does training have to hurt? The punishment for a mistake should be to do the damned thing over again a few more times until you get it right, not pain. If you have your heart set on making it hurt a bit, you can use wooden training knives, make some out of hard plastic, or you can make actual steel or aluminum training knives with no edges or points.
2/11/08 6:55 PM
jeeperpete
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Feb-08 06:59 PM
i'm part of Baltic Dog's "Gentlemen's Fight Club" in California, and in the GFC we fight full contact with dull aluminum training blades. We get plenty of stabby stabby (feels right) and nice slashes (has that threateing zip to it). We get minor injuries every time but no permanent damage. Getting stabbed hurts like a MFer but keeps it honest, for sure. For padding we use cup, mouthguard, leather work/yard gloves and a fencing mask. Adrenaline, pain, and excitement and Brotherhood at its best :) *edited to add in Brotherhood - possibly the biggest and best component of GFC
2/12/08 9:13 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Feb-08
The CSPT
http://www.sharkee.com/ These are what I've always used. The metal trainers come out sometimes and even foam ones but these are the standard. Demi www.DemiBarbito.com
2/12/08 12:56 PM
Aaron Little

Edited: 12-Feb-08
We use Sharkee training knives. We also use some aluminum ones from edges2 and then we have a crap load of dowel rods of various lengths.

As far as store bought goes I like the Sharkee for price vs usefulness.
2/13/08 2:26 PM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 13-Feb-08
IMHO a variety of training knives makes sense. Certainly soft padded ones have their place-- and so do ones that hurt. We use the Actionflex soft ones for fun banging, aluminumn for technical training and DB sparring and fighting, Shocknives for adrenal training, sparring and fighting, and in the next week or so will begin offering steel instead of aluminunm trainers precisely because they hurt more.
2/13/08 11:27 PM
merryprankster_au

Edited: 13-Feb-08
Thanks for the help everyone:) Look foward to hours of frustration and pain!
2/15/08 7:01 AM
Steven Lefebvre

Edited: 15-Feb-08
Hello Merryprankster, Over the years and in varying sparring scenarios my students and I have utilized the following: Hard rubber (applegate style originally from Brigade quartermaster) Hard carbon based plastic Aluminium PVC core, foam outside I have also used the Sharkee, but not the shock knife, although a good taser works well! Each have their pros and cons, as well each blade choice will have some sort of protective gear for the sparring scenario you choose to utilize. Gumagalang Guro Steve L. www.Bujinkandojo.net www.Sayoc.com
3/8/08 8:46 AM
Stephen_Carnes
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Mar-08
I don't know where the guy got if. But a shock-knife will keep things honest. Damn they hurt to.
3/12/08 10:50 AM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Mar-08
The shock Knife is great but I do not thing for everyday use
4/29/08 11:57 AM
TylerJamesMead

Edited: Apr 29 2008 12:00A
what about dulling a bayonet or folder with agrinder and sander- is it the same thing as an aluminum one- i know the metal is differernt
4/29/08 1:18 PM
sniper1026

Edited: Apr 29 2008 12:00A
Shock Knife.

Expensive though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.