Donvito
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Donvito

This is a personal question that I think is slightly different for each person, but I will give you my slant on it. It is very easy to lose your motivation and/or your passion for training when you are not focused on your goals. For me I have studied combative arts for over three decades and have ebbed and flowed through training during that time. Recently, I met Mr. Blauer and have been rejuvinated to a motivation level that I have never experienced before. The reason for this is that you instinctively know what is real and what is not. When your training does not in any way resemble the event you are training for (the street), doubt creeps into your mind as to why you are spending so much time and energy on methods that you are unsure of. Been there, done that. Since beginning to train with Mr. Blauer, I no longer have the problem of whether the training I am doing is realistic. Now my daily goal is to increase my capacity and continually strive to prepare for the 3%er. Whether that encounter ever occurs or not does not matter, I know that by being on the path that I am on, those I care about and those I influence are safer. There is no way to describe the elation you feel when you train in something you know to be the truth. My advice, get in touch with Mr. Blauer and get re-energized! Hope this helps. Ron
Mike99VR4

Hey, I was wondering, in a few words, what is your motivation? How do you keep up your training, how do you continue to improve? What is your personal way of motivating yourself? I ask this because I'm trying to find motivation of my own, and I'm finding it very difficult. I had a good workout plan but as of Monday I was just too tired and I quit until today. That took a major chunk out of my training and now I fear I may be substantially weaker. So what do you say to yourself to push out that last rep, or drag yourself to your martial arts class? Please share. Thanks.
GoongNoi

Short term goals, ones that you can focus your training towards; keep it simple. Eg: Fighting in a tournament or ring, landing more frontkicks during sparring, perform more pushups etc. Set new goals every time you reach one. Keep track of them and use them to work towards a longer term goal. A bigger, more rewarding challenge. Eg win a state title, obtain 2nd dan etc. etc. Also, a change could be what you need. New training partner or instructor could give you a whole new lease on life. Goong.
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Thanks Ron, appreciate your comments. As for motivation, well its crucial the you have a plan, a vision a goal and all that must be manageable, possible etc. If you experience too much friction, failure, and duress during training [and its not expected or deliberate] it'll wear you down. The clearer your goal, the more systematic you can be about your goal setting, this in turn fuels motivation. "Nothing breeds success like success itself" Tony
jsteinmann

I'm going to toss out some thoughts here, having been struggling with motivation quite a bit myself recently. What Tony said is, as usual, dead on: You need goals, and more importantly, you need a plan. One of the things that has crippled my training lately has been my lack of a coherent plan. I know what I want, but I lost focus on how I was going to get it. Which brings me to another point: A plan is wonderful, but only if you actually execute the plan. You could have a brilliant method for bringing about world peace, but if it sits on the old desk in your garage, it doesn't do anyone any good at all. My greatest weakness has always been my habit of procrastinating, stalling, or otherwise putting off what I know must be done. It's a terrible habit, one born partly of FEAR, partly of being a smart kid (honestly...I frequently get away with it, which does not help me learn to STOP doing it), and partly...I don't know what. Genetics, or something. The last PDR really opened my eyes to some of the errors I've been making with my own training and my problems with motivation. I've spent the past week or so bouncing around quite a bit, and some of that time has been spent thinking about how to revise my training to get where I need to go. If you have a truly strong vision of what you want, it will carry you through that last rep, and well beyond. Many times, for me, just getting to that last rep has been motivation enough (Phil had a great story about doing 20 rep squats on a boat...maybe he'll share it). I can COMPLETELY identify with the stress caused by missing a workout due to weariness...I've not worked out since the last PDR (about a week and a half) because I've been so busy and exhausted. But you won't get any better if you don't get back into it. When I was younger, I used to go horseback riding. Now, horses being what they are (stubborn as hell), some of them did not appreciate having a small child trying to tell them where to go (or anyone else), and I got thrown. If you think Judo throws hurt, get chucked by an 800 pound animal! Anyway: On one occasion, as I was lying in the dirt, none to pleased with the whole process, my father came over to me, and said: "You've got a choice now. You can either give up, go home, sulk, and learn nothing from this...or you can get back on the horse." Some rambling thoughts from boston. Jake

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.