UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Hardest course in law school?

2/9/08 5:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FullHouseFan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Feb-08

What was your hardest course(s) you took during law school? I'm more curious about which of the first year required courses-torts, civil procedure, research & writing, contracts, etc- is going to be the toughest. Or are they all pretty much the same level of difficulty?
2/9/08 6:12 PM
jbapk

Edited: 09-Feb-08
It really depend on personal interests, the professor, a lot of different stuff.
2/10/08 1:19 AM
Xtina

Edited: 10-Feb-08
property was the most confusing, but i actually did ok in it. luck, imo.
2/10/08 4:34 AM
Fake Pie
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Feb-08 04:43 AM
CivPro, though I did well in it, was the hardest conceptually in first year. None of them are really that bad though. It was also my first semester where you don't really know how to even read a case the right way. Property has some tough shit (perpetuities). Hardest class overall was corporate taxation. *hides from Steve* "they teach legal theory..." What school do you go to? That is my #1 complaint about my school. They never want to teach the law, just debate policy. Whenever I discuss this with a professor they just say, "Oh, you will learn that blackletter stuff in bar review. That is boring. This is Georgetown, we teach the interesting stuff..." Maybe interesting to them. I wasn't a polsci major and I didn't particularly come here to get a masters in it.
2/10/08 12:26 PM
Steve72
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My hardest first year class was Contracts, but that was because my professor was lousy. ...At least, that's what I've convinced myself.
2/10/08 12:43 PM
Xtina

FP, NU was the same about teaching us the analytical process and not actual law. Might have been because the majority of us didn't plan on staying in IL, and teaching differences in CA, NY, and IL law in each class wouldn't have worked out so well. Don't know about your state, but it seemed like the CA bar review class taught the "law" that you were supposed to use for the bar exam, and not necessarily the actual law. :\
2/10/08 1:41 PM
Mike Yelsik

Civ Pro was the worst. I don't come from a family of Lawyers and hadn't worked in a law office prior to law school. It didn't make sense to me. I thought Property was hard,but I did well in it. Didn't care too much for Research and Writing either.
2/10/08 3:20 PM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought property was easy. I got my only C in law school in it, so I guess it wasn't that easy. Constitutional Law was pretty rough for me, but I had a nightmare of a professor. I got a B in that. Bankruptcy is fairly difficult because it ties a whole lot of areas of law together. I got an A in that. I don't know how I did better than my study partner, but I did. Anti-Trust is a nightmare. Have a strong econ background or don't take it. B+. Real Property Finance is kinda rough. Learning about all sorts of mortgages and priorities etc. B. Income tax sucks. B. Crim Pro is conceptually confusing. You better take it though because it is on the bar. B.
2/10/08 4:54 PM
Fake Pie
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"NU was the same about teaching us the analytical process and not actual law." I don't have a problem with the analytical process. Blackletter is mostly pointless as it varies by state and changes every few years. My point was more about teaching policy instead of law--and I include the analytical shit when I say law. First year was mostly teaching analytical shit, last two years have been almost 100% policy. We don't even talk about what the correct "legal" holding should have been or was or whatever, people just go on and on about the way it should be because of policy reason xyz. Annoying. If I get called on and the court did policy I always point that out. Then the teacher asks me how I would have come down and I say, "the way you have to by interpreting the statute and the caselaw blah blah..." "No, but how do you think it SHOULD be?" "Well, that is up to the legislature." "Well, pretend you are in the legislature." "Oh, sorry thought I was in law school not polisci grad school. My bad." Aren't we supposed to be reading the cases as lawyers/judges not as lawmakers? Somewhere that got lost. Everyone wants to be a chief and not an indian, a lawmaker and not a lawyer/judge.
2/10/08 4:58 PM
Xtina

oh. well, lol@that, then.
2/10/08 7:31 PM
Fake Pie

Yeah it gets annoying. I try to take classes like Corporations, Secured Transactions, Tax, etc. to avoid policy discussions. No one is going to sit around and policy debate Article 9... hopefully. But I still would have liked to have learned the elements in my CrimLaw class. I wanted to take ConLaw2 but didn't because I knew all the blowhards wouldn't be able to STFU and get off their soapboxes.
2/10/08 8:53 PM
sosleepy

Conflicts of Laws; Corporate Tax; Secured Transactions (UCC for you Americans; PPSA for you Canadians)
2/11/08 12:06 AM
Fake Pie

Edited: 11-Feb-08
We call it secured transactions. I am taking it now.
2/12/08 11:05 AM
Trust
583 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Feb-08
None of it was difficult, conceptually. I had a criminal pre-trial workshop that had a brutal workload, though. I got a lot out of that class, but I hated it, too. Now I am glad I did it. Every week we got a new criminal case and had to write motions for both defense and prosecution. I spent hours and hours every week just doing research. It culminated with a live oral motion argument. Hardest 2 credits I ever earned in either engineering or law school.
2/12/08 5:39 PM
PrettyBoy
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Legal writing - just due to the time it consumes
2/12/08 6:06 PM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trust - who taught the class?
2/13/08 8:59 AM
Trust
583 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Feb-08
Jim Lewis and Cynthia Imperato. She was a "statewide" prosecutor at the time, and he's crim def attrny. He handled the Lionel Tate case. Coincidently, one of my coworkers was interning with the Broward prosecutors office and worked on that case, too.
2/13/08 11:53 PM
Z
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Feb-08
I'm surprised no one has said Fed Courts yet.
2/22/08 7:00 PM
MirkosLittleChin

Edited: 22-Feb-08
Fed Courts Corporate Taxation (busted A, anyone)?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.