UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Novice Rider! Needs Help!!

2/14/08 9:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChangoBravo
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Feb-08 09:37 AM

I would like to get some advice from experienced motorcycle riders. I am a novice rider (enrolled in MSF beginner course) and would like to purchase a new or used bike. I have done due diligence and read books and internet reviews about "beginner" or "starter" motorcycles. Here is the rub. Most reccomend a 250-400cc new/used bike as a starter because of weight and handling and power. I am 5'11 and weigh 275lbs. Powerlifter type build. On all these smallish bikes, I look like one of those circus bears on a tricycle! Should I just suck it up and ride a Rebel 250 for 6mos-1 year and look foolish, but be safe or is there a safe larger bike to start with?? I am looking for a ctuiser type bike, not a crotch rocket and definately not an off road bike Thanks to all for your time. Chango
2/14/08 11:13 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Feb-08 11:18 AM
I think the 250cc bikes get recommended as the sportbike starting size, not cruisers. Cruisers have much less power and much more weight. In your case if you're gonna go cruiser I would recommend a used honda shadow 750 or something similar. A friend of mine (who convinced me to take the MSF) had one as a first bike and he said it was perfect to start on. The power is acceptable but not overwhelming, the ride height is low so no tipovers. And the ergos are good. I'm your same height (although 100 lbs lighter!) and sat on one. Bar reach is good, not too heavy, good balance, comfy seat, etc... Go to the dealership and sit on one, see what you think. BTW-Powerlifting has saved the day several times in my motorcyling career. A couple low speed drops have been averted with pure deadlift reflexes. ;)
2/14/08 6:33 PM
ChangoBravo
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Feb-08
Thanks Big Slacker! I have been really resisting the urge to Jump right onto a Harley! A couple of my buddies ride big Harleys and they keep saying that I'm big and strong enough to handle one as a first bike, but every rider resource says differently. I went to college with those guys and know how often they attended class, so they are not the best and brightest :) And if I wrecked a $17,000 bike driving home from the dealership I would hope that the wreck killed me or else I would have to go home and put a bullet in my head! Honda, Yamaha dealers near me have some nice affordable new and used bikes in the 500-700cc range. I think I'll get one and ride for 6 mos or so and buy a big bike in the fall! Thanks again for your help and reccommendation. Chango
2/15/08 11:04 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Feb-08
Handling a bike has nothing to do with size and strength, even if the bike is big. Strength only comes into play if you're doing somethign stupid and start to drop it at a dead stop. I've seen 60 year old men who weigh a buck 20 moving goldwings at low speeds better than I can move my SV650. It has everything to do with how well you can coordinate the micro moves you hands are making on the controls with your body movement as well as the movement of the bike. This can only come with experience and practice, I haven't met a single person (even someone who has been on 2 wheels their whole life) that can jump on a 400+ lb bike and move it around naturally. And then the financial thing that you brought up which is the most compelling reason not to buy big and new. Dropping a 17k bike, ouch! Or even if you're like me and buy a bike, ride it for a year and figure out you really like a different kind of ride. What if you decide the harley is too slow/relaxed and you want a sportbike? Or you like putting on the miles and want a goldwing instead? Now you've got to take a big loss on the trade-in. Anyway, sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders with taking the MSF, buying used, etc... One final 'dad' note. Buy some gear. Cruiser guys love the nazi helmets, t-shirt with tats showing, jeans look. That stuff won't do dick in a crash. Get some good boots with ankle support, some leathers and a real helmet. You don't have to go power ranger, but get some cow in between you and the road and protect your noggin. ;)
2/18/08 9:24 PM
pm1964
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Feb-08
slacker is 1005 correct.
2/19/08 9:41 AM
Chalupa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Feb-08
Also, you might want to check out the Yamaha V-star Classic or Custom. 650 cc's and not too heavy, great looking cruisers, and you can probably find a decent used one on Craigslist for 3 or 4 grand. Then if you drop it, so what? It's your first bike, not your last. It was used and only a few grand. Get all your noobie drops out of the way, save money so that you can spend it on gear - i.e. full face helmet and like big_slacker said, some cow between you and the road. After two years, sell it for a few hundred less than you bought it. Then it was just a few hundred dollars for a bike rental for a year or two. Then you'll know how to ride and you can keep that Harley looking pretty when it finally does sit in your garage.
2/19/08 6:17 PM
ChangoBravo

Edited: 19-Feb-08
Good ideas Chalupa! Thanks One thing Big Slacker wrote interests me. The "German" helmet. I really like this style of helmet, and the one I 'm looking at is DOT certified, not one of those "just for looks" helmets. Is this a bad choice for a helmet? I would never ride without one. Alot of years in an ER seeing what happens when you don't!! I'm in full agreement about leather jackets and long pants and boots. I'm into this for the feeling of excitement and some comraderie. I can show off my tats around the pool! Chango
2/20/08 9:11 AM
Chalupa

Edited: 20-Feb-08
"The "German" helmet. I really like this style of helmet, and the one I 'm looking at is DOT certified, not one of those "just for looks" helmets." DOT certification is not the end all and be all of helmets. Keep in mind, anything except a full face helmet will not provide you with any chin protection or face protection. You lay it down at a high speed, do you really want your face full of road rash? Besides, how many bugs do you want to catch with your face? Take a look at the HJC FS-10. It's a good looking, full face helmet with a sun visor added in.
2/21/08 7:15 PM
Patriots Cheat
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Feb-08 07:20 PM
Also check out the suzuki Marauder it was my first cruiser after riding sportbikes. Its a nice first bike. As for the "german" helmat if thats what you like wear it. I have a full face and a skid lid I wear both depending on my mood. As long as you have one on you know what I'm sayin? Your off to the right start with the MSF. Good luck and have fun.
2/21/08 10:01 PM
big_slacker

Edited: 22-Feb-08 11:04 AM
The german helmet might be DOT approved but that is a certification. Certifications don't protect your face, nor do they pay for skin grafts. Realize that a motorcycle is always a tradeoff. Safety for speed, or sensation, or pure joy. I'm not a gear nazi, I just think as someone who can't grow a right sideburn due to pavement I should advise people to wear something over their face. ;)
2/22/08 10:57 AM
ChangoBravo

Edited: 22-Feb-08
Excellent points!! Full face mask for me! I like my sideburns :) Chango
2/22/08 1:29 PM
Chalupa

Edited: 22-Feb-08
"can't grow a right sideburn due to pavement " OUCH
3/5/08 4:31 PM
Dupre
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Mar-08
i second the v-star 650. even a brand new one is 5-6 grand. i hope i'm wrong, but somehow someway, you will drop your bike. v-stars are a very good looking bike. the 650 is pretty much a full size cruiser, that won't let you get to the levels that a 1200cc plus will.
3/5/08 9:50 PM
ChangoBravo

Edited: 05-Mar-08
I'll take a good look at the V-Star. Thanks Chango
3/15/08 2:36 AM
Lymie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Mar-08
Have a look at the VL and VZ 800's from Suzuki. Nice chilled out bikes with not too much chrome. The M50 is actually a fun bike to ride. They are 800 cc V twins and will not make it look like you shit a rolerblade when on it..... Sign of for the Cali super bike school asap it wll help big time. I second the full face helmet. Over 80% of bike crashes are front end tucks, and in a front end tuck you end up useing your chin as a brake.... Not a nice look..... Be safe and welcome to two wheels....
4/29/08 5:41 PM
BobAsh

Edited: Apr 29 2008 12:00A

Good advice from slacker.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.