UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Breaking opponents grip

2/14/08 7:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stephen_Carnes
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Feb-08

Ok, after about 6 months not being able to train I am lucky enough to get to roll 1 day a week now. I am running into a problem I had forgotten about with one or my training partners. What my partner likes to do when starting from his guard is to simply grab both lapels and hangs on making it difficult for me to posture up. The guy who likes to do this is rather strong so simply pulling away, even with quick jerks is rather fruitless. What I am looking for is 2 or 3 ways of breaking the grip of a strong person using while favoring technique over bute strength. Thank you, Stephen Carnes
2/18/08 12:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Feb-08
Stephen Carnes, You have two solutions: 1. Develop your awareness to a higher level so you can prevent this opponent from grabbing and holding on to your lapels. 2. Keep your awareness level at a low level and focus on breaking grips. To develop your awareness, pay attention to what moves occur before he grabs your lapels. Then, either grab ahold of his sleeves or don't let him cross his ankles around your back. Posturing up is a great move for beginning level students. However, by raising your level of awareness, you can prevent people from doing this! Grip breaking should be kept to a bare minimum. Bend the wrist so that the fingernails move towards the inside of the forearm, then tear the cloth out of his weakened grip. Roy Harris

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.