UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Learning from your students?

2/15/08 3:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sovann
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Feb-08

Hi Roy, What are some major things you've learned from your students? Not in terms of managing business or in communicating/teaching but in terms of performance. Have any of your students pushed you to be better? I have a student who is very good at pinning in side control - he's forced me to be very good at pin prevention and escaping. I have another student who is very good with foot and leg locks - he pushes me hard to defend these. He's also very good with closed/rubber guard. You've said awhile ago to not allow opponent to close their guard and this is the thing I focus on the most when grappling with him. It's helped me a lot.
2/26/08 5:54 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Feb-08
sovann, I have learned a ton of things from my students. Many of these things have appeared on my instructionals. Here are a few things I have learned over the years: 1. Loyalty. 2. Patience. 3. Consideration. 4. Adaptability. 5. Compassion. 6. Timing. 7. Distancing. 8. Awareness. 9. Thousands of subtle details. 10. Positioning. By repeatedly making myself vulnerable to my students, I have learned a great deal about the Jiu Jitsu game. Roy Harris
2/27/08 8:34 PM
sovann
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Feb-08
Roy, That is a great list. I hope I can grow and learn in those areas. One thing I've learned is that teaching/coaching can be very frustrating at times but when it does go well it is a very rewarding feeling. I used to tell myself I would not be a good teacher because I am not a creative person, I am more analytical, but I am enjoying what I am learning in grappling and in life these days.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.