UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> MCMAP vid with grappling?

4/26/08 6:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 26 2008 12:00A
MAJLeavitt, for some reason you guys think I am putting Matt down or that I think he has done a poor job. Not at all, to get 1.2 million people to do anything is a miracle. let alone in orderly fashion with tremendous results might I add. I could never in 1,2 million years do something like that. what I have done is similar to this, the military has used lasing and straps for years in a uniformed procedure basic in commonality for the troops, and will continue to do so, I have invented Velcro.

Joe
4/26/08 7:18 PM
MAJLeavitt
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 26 2008 12:00A
Nope don't think you are putting down Matt at all. Really wouldn't care if you did, as it wouldn't make much difference to me. Just think you are missing the main point he is making in his post, that is all.

Velcro as concieved or invented in 1948, patented in 1955. Took a while before it probably came into full scale use as a common item, even in the military.

Maybe your new and unique ideas will just take a while to take hold. I'd take Matt's advice, open you school up to some combatives instructors and see what happens!

Take care.
4/27/08 11:40 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 27 2008 12:00A
I understand bro, solders need to be trained by solders, their kin, their breed, their culture. The brotherhood, cops are no different. I completely understand. However most if not all of what the military uses is from civilian subcontractors, Boeing, General Dynamics, Lincoln labs, Raytheon, Colt, LLL, Shock Knife etc. it is engineered and designed with prototype shipped through procurement to the military for testing with a short term circumvention agreement, evaluated and if excepted it is bought. That's how it is done. This is how new ideas get brought in, new product doesn't just happened to get stumbled upon. There are reasons why the engineers are working on projects. This is how I do business.

Matt said "Combatives training in the Army will undoubtedly change but the way it will change is that Soldiers will bring in new ideas from various sources, including local civilian martial arts "experts". These ideas will be veted by the collective experience of the Army's combatives instructor corps." Then he goes on to say

"I invite you to participate. Open your gym to the combatives instructors in your area. We tell them before they leave here to seek out the local experts and train with them if they teach something useful. If what you teach has merit, they will be the filter that brings it to the thousands of other combatives instructor around the Army. Soon, it will be the doctrine."

So which is it, you bring in local civilian martial arts "experts". OR, have combatives instructors come by my gym to be a filter?. It was the combatives instructors that got me working on this project to begin with in 95, They have since retired or moved on to agency work, which are my contacts now and are still in the loop. But to do the bottom up approach again, no thanks, any combatives instructor is always welcome to train. But I think I will do the top down approach now. I never want to step on toes so I always try to do the right thing. Whether you guys realize it or not, it all boils down to $$$ who can make money off my product. Sad but true.

There is more then one way to skin a cat.

MAJLeavitt, you are always welcome to come train, where R U stationed?

And to Matt all the best and I hope to meet and maybe even train a little.

Joe
4/27/08 4:40 PM
MAJLeavitt
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Joe, appreciate the offer. I am in the DC area working out of the Pentagon right now. Where are you? Never know, I might do that if I am in the area (I travel alot).

Anyway, most, if not all of the "outside experts" I believe have taken the time to understand the combatives program and the dynamic of it. I think most of them go to Benning, get "certified" and once they have formed the "mind meld" with Benning, they start discussing ways to do things.

I have had civilian instructors want to work with my soldiers in the past. I always ask if they are certified by Benning in Combatives. If not, they don't get near my soldiers.

It has nothing to do with their abiities or qualifications as a Instructor...but everything to do with the insitution that is the army.

We have worked hard to get our commands on board with combatives. to develop standards, and SMEs within our Army. The program has gained legitimacy.

So then picture me asking my Boss to pay for an outside instructor to come in and teach my soldiers. What does that say about our program?

1. I don't believe in it.
2. I don't have soldiers that are qualified to teach it.
3. The Army combatives program is not valid or working.

See my point?

However, if you are level IV certified, now we you are in the money. I can bring you in, get my guys certified,and then work with some of our more skilled soldiers on your take on things and we can start working on your innovations.

Hope this helps some!
4/27/08 7:31 PM
Joe Maffei

MAJLeavitt. that sounds like a plan. Here is my personal e-mail mafjkdimdc@aol.com
I am scheduled to be down in Quantico sometime this year maybe we can catch some training while in that area. BTW I'm in Boston, We can hook up anytime.
If you get a chance shoot me a quick e-mail and I will let you know about Q town.
thanks bud.
Joe

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.