UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Best "Noir"

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/21/12 5:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thatdude21601
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alan Moore's "Top Ten" comics.
7/17/12 3:49 AM
melancoholic
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inb4 sin city
9/20/12 3:27 PM
MattyIce
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/20/12 3:27 PM
Check out the Hard Case Crime series
9/20/12 5:01 PM
Bobby Lupo
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks for bringing this back.

Anybody ever read the short story Memento is based on?
9/26/12 10:50 PM
UGCTT_Pariah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for bumping this thread, this exact topic was why I was coming to BookGround..

Sadly, the reason I want to read some Noir books is because I loved L.A. Noire, and am in the process of reading the L.A. Noire short story collection and love them...

Some awesome sounding suggestions in this thread, but The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler is probably the first I will read, just because I hear so many people mention it.

5/31/13 11:40 PM
UGCTT_Pariah

TTT!

Still haven't gotten around to reading The Big Sleep, but I did just read Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (the first book in his LA Quartet) and it was amazing, definitely recommend it to everyone.  Starting the next one in the series now.

6/3/13 11:40 PM
CareBearStare
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No Raymond Chandler?

The Big Sleep is the book that started me on detective fiction.
6/30/13 10:51 PM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Pariah - 

TTT!

Still haven't gotten around to reading The Big Sleep, but I did just read Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (the first book in his LA Quartet) and it was amazing, definitely recommend it to everyone.  Starting the next one in the series now.

I would suggest digging deep into the hardboiled genre.

Chanlder is a must read. Hammett's The Maltese Falcon is also a key one.

Dennis Lehane's Patrick and Angie books may well be the best P.I. series ever (Especially the first four).

Don Winslow's Savages is a damn good book.

Walter Mosley and George Pelecanos are modern masters.
8/8/13 8:14 AM
tontobalboa
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jim Thompson is great place to start.

Read anything put out by Hard Case Crime, in particular "The Twenty Year Death." It's fantastic. It's written like three novels in one, each in the style of a master to tell one epic story. First one is set in 1939 and written like a Georges Simenon procedural. Next is 1949 detective story ala Chandler. The last is in 1959, written like a Jim Thompson gem.
8/13/13 2:07 AM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tontobalboa - Jim Thompson is great place to start.

Read anything put out by Hard Case Crime, in particular "The Twenty Year Death." It's fantastic. It's written like three novels in one, each in the style of a master to tell one epic story. First one is set in 1939 and written like a Georges Simenon procedural. Next is 1949 detective story ala Chandler. The last is in 1959, written like a Jim Thompson gem.

Hard Case is an amazing publisher. Charles does a great job with reissues and new titles.
12/30/13 10:58 AM
Bootsy Collins
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

later
12/30/13 11:32 AM
Bobby Lupo
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a story coming out in the next Thug Lit magazine. They do very good hardcore hardboiled.

My story is more of a western on bicycles, set in Brooklyn in 1989. Undocumented Irish and black kids fighting over bikes. Phone Post 3.0
1/2/14 8:51 AM
Bootsy Collins
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Pariah - 

Thanks for bumping this thread, this exact topic was why I was coming to BookGround..

Sadly, the reason I want to read some Noir books is because I loved L.A. Noire, and am in the process of reading the L.A. Noire short story collection and love them...

Some awesome sounding suggestions in this thread, but The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler is probably the first I will read, just because I hear so many people mention it.

Honestly I don't think you can do better than James Ellroy
1/2/14 9:12 AM
Bobby Lupo

Hard Bounce by Todd Robinson. Kind of punk rock hardboiled noir.

The Naked Kiss is brilliant. Watch it free on YouTube. Phone Post 3.0
1/2/14 9:13 AM
Bobby Lupo

Brooklyn Noir short story collection is good too. Phone Post 3.0
5/29/14 5:34 PM
Out To Lunch
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo - Brooklyn Noir short story collection is good too. Phone Post 3.0

Yes, it is a great collection.
6/6/14 2:43 AM
OKMike

CareBearStare - No Raymond Chandler?

I loved the Big Sleep so much that I read all of Raymond Chandler's work after that.

Dashiel Hammett's Red Dawn is definitely a good read too.
6/10/14 8:50 AM
Out To Lunch
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Pariah - 

I'm reading the L.A. Noire short story collection now. I tend to like short stories more than full on novels.
6/17/14 8:24 PM
vee840
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OKMike - 

I loved the Big Sleep so much that I read all of Raymond Chandler's work after that.

i as well, the long goodbye being my favourite.
soho crime is a good label to look out for, they put out alot of crime novels from around the world
6/19/14 8:56 PM
Bobby Lupo

Edited: 06/19/14 8:56 PM

Really quick read 9/11 noir.

http://litreactor.com/events/arrest-us/not-a-sailors-girlnot-a-truckers-wife

8/7/14 5:53 AM
El_Geronimo_de_Gato
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im reading Connolly's Every dead Thing, The first of the Charlie Parker series. I'm over half-way and it's meh, thus far...
8/7/14 8:40 AM
OKMike

vee840 - 
OKMike - 

i as well, the long goodbye being my favourite.
soho crime is a good label to look out for, they put out alot of crime novels from around the world

The Long Goodbye is definitely my favorite book of Chandler's. It is a shame that they didn't get Humphrey Bogart to reprise the Phillip Marlowe role for it or any of the other books. Many years later they did make a the Long Goodbye movie, possibly made for t.v., but I have not had any luck finding it or any of the other Chandler based movies, besides the Big Sleep.
8/7/14 9:23 AM
El_Geronimo_de_Gato
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You didnt see the early 70's version with Elliot Gould then...

evidently, you havent looked very hard...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.