UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> How do I verify someone was a Rngr

2/17/08 3:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grambo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Feb-08

Hello all. How do I verify that someone was a Ranger, or at the very least Ranger tabbed? I feel as though I have a con-artist on my hands. I have his full name, which is unique enough that if it was on a list of ranger graduates, I'd give him the benefit of doubt. I don't have any dd-214's or anything like that, and I'm in no position to request those or service certificates. I'm trying to stay below the radar in finding out about this dude. Any suggestions?
2/18/08 1:40 PM
olfocker

Edited: 18-Feb-08 01:44 PM
Ask him what class he was in. Enter a search for "Ranger class photos' on the internet. Most of the class pics on line. His class will be numbered by month and last two digits of the year.
2/18/08 9:02 PM
AndrewChappelle

Edited: 18-Feb-08
Dude, just give him the secret handshake, if he doesn't know it then he obviously isn't a 'Ranger'. :)
2/18/08 9:29 PM
StephenL

Edited: 18-Feb-08
https://www.infantry.army.mil/rtb/photo.htm problem is that there are a lot of faces in those pix. ask him about the history of robbies rangers. stephen
2/19/08 10:51 AM
olfocker

Edited: 19-Feb-08
Ask him when Indians attack.
2/19/08 4:49 PM
grambo

Trying to track down a buddie that was an RI, figure he'll know someone at the RTB that can run a name to see if this person was awarded a tab. Andrew, I'm afraid I don't know the secret Ranger handshake either:) olfocker, I don't think those class pics go back far enough. He's currently 40, so I'd have to figure going back possibly 22 years.
2/19/08 5:14 PM
grambo

Actually, I just found some going back to the 70's. Also, called the RTB. I'll know the truth about this clown before long.
2/19/08 5:27 PM
ViewType

What makes you think he's lying, anyway?
2/20/08 1:14 PM
DJ Singley

Edited: 20-Feb-08 01:20 PM
Records of Army and Air Force personnel separated after October 6, 1945, are at: Army Records Center, Department of the Army, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100 You may make a request from these organizations under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
2/20/08 10:44 PM
BigDaddyPerkins
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Feb-08
take off your glove, slap him and say "sir, I believe you to be a liar" then challenge him to a pistol duel, if he wins he was a ranger if not he wasn't. Jeez that was so easy.
2/20/08 10:55 PM
olfocker

Edited: 20-Feb-08
I was in class 2-85 over 20 years ago and our pic is on there.
2/21/08 1:40 AM
grambo

Edited: 21-Feb-08
Got a call back from the RTB today. Guy's full of shit. BigDaddy, a ruckmarch challenge would surely work, but a pistol duel? That'd be like having a who looks cooler in sunglasses challenge - pilot wins everytime.
2/21/08 11:45 AM
DJ Singley

You could go old school on him.... Tie him up and throw him in a river, if he drowns he was a ranger if he floats... he not and then beat him down for lying...
2/21/08 12:56 PM
StephenL

does he have a coin? and all you guys failed my test. it was rogers rangers. stephen
2/21/08 3:22 PM
Normal MT
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Feb-08 03:28 PM

David Rogers, I didnt miss it.

Rogers' Rangers
Rogers Standing Orders
(By Major Robert Rogers 1759)
The Book "Northwest Passage" popularized and paraphrased Roger's Standing Orders as this:

1. Don't forget nothing.
2. Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute's warning.
3. When you're on the march, act the way you would if you was sneaking up on a deer. See the enemy first.
4. Tell the truth about what you see and what you do. There is an army depending on us for correct information. You can lie all you please when you tell other folks about the Rangers, but don't never lie to a Ranger or officer.
5. Don't never take a chance you don't have to.
6. When we're on the march we march single file, far enough apart so one shot can't go through two men.
7. If we strike swamps, or soft ground, we spread out abreast, so it's hard to track us.
8. When we march, we keep moving till dark, so as to give the enemy the least possible chance at us.
9. When we camp, half the party stays awake while the other half sleeps.
10. If we take prisoners, we keep'em separate till we have had time to examine them, so they can't cook up a story between'em.
11. Don't ever march home the same way. Take a different route so you won't be ambushed.
12. No matter whether we travel in big parties or little ones, each party has to keep a scout 20 yards ahead, 20 yards on each flank, and 20 yards in the rear so the main body can't be surprised and wiped out.
13. Every night you'll be told where to meet if surrounded by a superior force.
14. Don't sit down to eat without posting sentries.
15. Don't sleep beyond dawn. Dawn's when the French and Indians attack.
16. Don't cross a river by a regular ford.
17. If somebody's trailing you, make a circle, come back onto your own tracks, and ambush the folks that aim to ambush you.
18. Don't stand up when the enemy's coming against you. Kneel down, lie down, hide behind a tree.
19. Let the enemy come till he's almost close enough to touch, then let him have it and jump out and finish him up with your hatchet.

Rogers established a training program in which he personally supervised the application of his rules. In June 1758, Robert Rogers was conducting live-fire training exercises. His operations were characterized by solid preparation and bold movements. When other units were bivouacked in winter quarters, Rangers moved against the French and Indians by the use of snowshoes, sleds, and even ice skates. In a time when the English colonists were struggling, Roger's Rangers carried the war to the enemy by scouting parties and raids.

His most famous expedition was a daring raid against the fierce Abenaki Indians. With a force of 200 Rangers, traveling by boat and over land, Rogers covered 400 miles in about 60 days. Penetrating deep into enemy territory, and despite losses en route, the Rangers attacked and destroyed the Indian settlement and killed several hundred Indians; the Abenaki were no longer a threat.

Rangers continued to patrol the border and defend the colonists against sporadic Indian attacks for the next decade. When the time came for the colonies to fight for their independence, the American Rangers were ready.

2/23/08 11:31 AM
MAJLeavitt

Edited: 23-Feb-08
I didn't miss it, just figured you weren't a Ranger and couldn't do a good enough internet search to be a Internet Ranger.
2/27/08 2:27 PM
BigDaddyPerkins
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Feb-08
Jeez I am a dirty nasty mechanized leg and I caught the mistake, but I didn't want to get into any spelling or gramar debate, because i am a product of the oklahoma education system
3/17/08 1:17 AM
StephenL

Edited: 17-Mar-08
yeah. now you catch it.
3/17/08 9:40 PM
StephenL

Edited: 17-Mar-08 10:07 PM
a non parachutist. .

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.