UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Awards.

2/21/08 11:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EbolaMonkey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Feb-08

This is me venting. Please don't respond to me but I'm interested in your own stories. 6+ years in - no awards. One MOS shift, one extended 15 month combat tour which included in excess 300+ security missions throughout Najaf, Baghdad and as far north as Balad. Granted I was shot at alot in that process and I received a CAB - approximately 1 1/2 years later (no joke). That only happened do to the fact a Warrant wanted one and it couldn't be justified without the people who were ACTUALLY THERE receiving it too. I didn't see anything ARCOM or other for the entire deployment. I was not in a combat MOS and was on the streets nearly every day, twice a day. One MOS shift, one duty station change (not so much as PCS award - unit deactivated) and I had to beg to get a Good Conduct Medal processed. Haven't got the one I'm due now either. Excellent ratings on NCOER's to include all prior counselings. Consistant 300 points soldier on PT. I have volunteered for EVERYTHING, Airborne, deployment, you name it. I've been to LOTS of schooling. Not so much as an ARCOM or AAM. I have coins though, oh man, do I have coins. And I got so many COA's they are now coasters in my house. A MAJ recently saw my class A's and asked where my awards were. I nearly laughed at him in his face. AND I love my job. I'm not kidding.
2/21/08 1:35 PM
JeffMiller

Edited: 21-Feb-08
Have you been in the same unit this whole time? Did other folks in your unit or adjacent units get end of tour awards for Iraq? Hell, your Battalion Commander can award an AAM.
2/22/08 12:17 AM
EbolaMonkey

Edited: 22-Feb-08
"AAM's are not given for deployments" The whole Iraq thing is just one greater example of something I've noticed all to much in the Army, at least from my perspective. The people that DO, don't get recognized - I know there are others out there that have similar or greater experiences (and have deployed more). The unit I was with in Iraq received a Presidential Unit citation, I recall as many as 5 people received bronze stars - persons I worked beside. I did what they did aside of having rank to earn a bronze. I volunteered to be put out there instead of staying behind and tending shop. For example, one of those folks that did pushed paper at BIAP (a job I could of chose) got 3 ARCOM's. This is just a message to those that have squadee's or a platoon to just recognize. Some people are to prideful to say look at me. I am often weary of those that do.
2/22/08 5:20 AM
thatdmgud

for what it's worth, i didn't get my first aam until i was a ssg. i didn't complain (to anyone that mattered), i kept getting promoted. however, now, i get a little miffed about it simply because while i was a drill sergeant, (still a ssg), i didn't have a third of the awards my battle buddies did. i still didn't really mind since i got promoted again. remember, it all comes back full circle. be patient, or start writing your own awards and give your 638 to your supervisor. just act as though he/she delegated that to you with everything else you have been doing. good luck rick
2/22/08 1:48 PM
JeffMiller

Napoleon had it right when he said, "I could conquer the world, if only I had enough ribbon!" Soldiers want to be recognized for a job well done, medal seekers or not. It baffles me when chains of command don't recognize their folks. There is only ONE medal given for performance above and beyond the call of duty. The rest are for doing your job well, pretty much. I'd raise a stink to your chain of command. If you have proof of others getting recognition for doing the work to the same level, use that in your argument. My $0.02
2/24/08 10:55 AM
ChiggidyChops

Edited: 24-Feb-08
I feel your pain ebola one of my nco's was busting my balls for only havin 3 rows while his rack looked like a mexican generals i jokingly told him that it must suck to have all those promotion points and still get passed up by a guy with only 9.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.