UnderGround Forums

New York Underground >> MMA Classes in Buffalo

2/21/08 2:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
stuyboy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Feb-08 11:23 AM

KC's Fitness in downtown Buffalo is now offering MMA classes and instruction to all-- fighters and those who just want to train and get in shape. The instructor is Corey Norman, undefeated pro heavyweight. For more information, visit the website or call (716) 856-0252. http://kcsfitness.com/services/classes.asp
2/27/08 1:09 PM
RealPosition
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Feb-08
Kevin (KC) is a great guy! Who is teaching the grappling portion of the MMA over there?
2/27/08 4:11 PM
stuyboy

Chuck, Corey Norman is teaching the grappling. He has a wrestling background and has trained alot with various submission and bjj practitioners. He travels frequently to train with various UFC and other fighters. He is undefeated in professional MMA competition and hopes to get into the UFC. He is a heavyweight. I believe his last fight was at the Power Fights card in the midwest last October: http://www.windycitymma.com/index.php?id=77
2/27/08 6:01 PM
RealPosition
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool, we're adding a cage at our new location. Tell Corey he is welcome to come by and train.
2/28/08 9:32 AM
stuyboy

Edited: 28-Feb-08
I will tell Kevin to tell him. Congrats on your new place. It sounds like it will be great!
12/12/08 3:31 PM
PAGrappler412
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for anything from Buffalo
3/6/09 11:40 PM
stuyboy

TTT... MMA classes going strong at KC's Fitness in downtown Buffalo under instructor Corey Norman (undefeated pro heavyweight).
1/24/11 2:03 PM
KJ Gould
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just saw some of his videos on youtube. Seems suspect to me. McDojo anyone?
1/27/11 1:55 PM
beowulfgsd

What is his record? Where has he fought?
2/23/11 8:07 PM
stuyboy

Not a McDojo at all. A bunch of its competitors placed and won in their various no-gi divisions at Gokor's tourney in Fredonia in August. See results here (scroll through) :

http://www.grapplingchallenge.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:fredonia-ny-8-28-10-results&catid=34:results

Last year they had 2 guys in the NYS Golden Gloves who made it to the finals (both lost in the finals) in their weight classes.

A few of the guys who train there wrestled in college, at least one of them was a decent D-1 wrestler.

As for Corey Norman, he won his no-gi grappling division at Wolf-a-Mania this past December. I don't know what his pro MMA record is but he has had a number of pro MMA fights. One was in Chicago--I posted the link to that in my post back in 2008 above. The link could be stale now, but it wasn't when I posted it. His other fights I believe were in Montreal a few years back in the now-defunct TKO organization. He has not been fighting the last few years because he has been working towrd his degree, which he has now finished. I undertsand he will be fighting again.

There are a bunch of real good places in the Buffalo area--Chuck Anzalone's and WNYMMA (the old Lockport place that I understand has moved to Bflo) and I am sure there are some others. KC's is a real good place as well for grappling, boxing and MMA and just working out. It is definitely not a McDojo (see results above). Hope that helps.
3/3/11 5:20 PM
KJ Gould
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Which TKO event(s) did he fight at? Because there is no fight finder record for Corey Norman at Sherdog, which has all the TKO events dating back to when it was UCC with the first show in 2000.

Also on the KC's website it's claimed his father competed in the Olympics in Greco Roman. Who was his father? Assuming his father is Mr Norman, and according to the FILA database the only wrestler with the Surname 'Norman' competed in 2004 at the World University Championship. If you go to the Olympic Database at Sports-Reference.com the 'Normans' that competed were in sports other than any form of wrestling also (and this Database covers decades, dating back to the Oympics of the early 20th century.

Then there's video of him on youtube claiming he learned Catch Wrestling from "a neighbour".

If you have more information that can be verified, it'd be appreciated.
3/6/11 3:06 PM
beowulfgsd

Yes who is/was his neighbor? There seems to be a current trend of bullshit artists saying that they care catchwrestlers...

His techniques on youtube also look like garbage (everything is VERY loose, lack of angle, techniques that may work on someone that has cerebal palsy). The video editing/quality is very nice though.

a google search of "corey norman mma" and "corey norman mixed martial arts" only comes up with this (regarding fights) on http://www.iscfmma.com/ISCFNewsOct07.htm

"Heavyweight 265
AMATEUR MMA: Corey Norman Vs Lunsford Hale-Harris
Corey Norman defeated Lunsford Hale Harris via rear naked choke at :56 of round 2."

One amateur fight in October 2007, albeit a win is quite far from "an undefeated professional fighter"

A gooogle search of "corey norman catch wrestling" doesn't bring anything up, either does "corey norman cacc" or "corey norman grappling." "corey norman wrestling" brings up some items but none that seem to be him.

I hope he isn't faking this all but it seems that he is...
3/6/11 5:17 PM
Mr B Rock
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He didn't do the absolute div at wolfamania?

3/30/11 5:12 AM
beowulfgsd

i see this thread has died...
please give us information on his instructor, his pro fights, and any competitions he did.
4/5/11 11:23 AM
KJ Gould

Yeah, I don't think they have anything to say. They know when they've been Bullshido'd ...
4/7/11 10:51 PM
stuyboy

Um, there is no "they" here, just me. I posted this topic back in 2008 just to let the Buffalo-area martial arts community know about a new place to do some training.

I'm not Corey Norman; in fact I haven't seen or spoken to him in quite a long time. I am just a mere member at KC's Fitness and did take some MMA classes back when they started offering them but just for fun and to get in shape. Now with my schedule I just work out there very early in the morning and don't see any of the MMA or grappling guys or Corey. I do every once in a while though hear about some of the events some of the people there enter.

I have not shown the nonsense posted by others here to Corey or anyone at KC's. No need to waste any one's time reading juvenile comments about moves working only on people with cerebral palsy and McDojo's.

So, sorry to disappoint you, but "they" haven't even seen your comments. You can hide behind your computer and high-five yourself into believing that the lack of details here on an internet forum is some victory for you. But it isn't. No one at KC's, as far as I know, has seen the garbage you posted other than me and I have not wasted any effort in trying to answer your questions.

You started off suggesting (without identifying where you train, if you train at all) KC's is a McDojo. Based on what I do know (Golden Gloves participants and victorious participants in at least one reputable grappling tourney) the facts disprove that.

If you were mature, you would have apologized and at least acknowledged that the place is not a McDojo.

As for Corey Norman, I don't have the details you are seeking. All I can tell you is what I had heard when the MMA classes started there back in 2008. I posted that above, including his recent success at Wolfmania (over competitors who probably were not afflicted with cerebral palsy). I did not ask Corey the details you are now demanding back in 2008. The only thing I can add is that his father is not American, but came here after he was an adult. I forget if Corey said his father was Canadian or European. It wasn't important to me at the time as it obviously is to you now.

That's all I know; I am too busy to do an investigation to answer someone on the internet. And I am a grown-up so I don't feel a compulsion to share b.s. with the people at KC's and waste their time.

The fact is KC's is a good place with a good bunch of people, some of whom have competed in combat sports with some success.

If you want more details on Corey, you can take one of his classes and ask him. But don't confuse my not having the answers to your "questions" as meaning that Corey or the people who do know at KC's having nothing to say.
4/20/11 9:25 AM
KJ Gould

You seem very defensive over very legitimate questions. If he's a pro fighter there should be a record of him, if his father was in the Olympics there should be a record of him, it's relatively simple. Since there is no official oversight with Catch Wrestling as there is with BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Folkstyle, Freestyle and Greco-Roman Wrestling, anyone claiming Catch is going to be scrutinised unless they can verify their background. Saying they "learned from their neighbor" doesn't cut it.

Also when I said McDojo I refer to his classes, not the gym he operates out of. But it would be interesting to know what due diligence the gym did before hiring him. My guess is none.
7/12/11 2:17 PM
beowulfgsd

odd
5/16/13 11:04 PM
stuyboy

Edited: 05/16/13 11:05 PM
Congrats to Corey Norman for winning 1st place in the men's advanced no gi heavyweight (204+) division at the NYS grappling championship in Fredonia on April 13, 2013. Also congrats to his student Jamar Harris who took 2nd place in the men's beginner no-gi 146-160 lb division.

Congrats as well to Adam Morrell of KC's Fitness for winning the 2013 NYS golden glove boxing championship in the sub-novice division in his weight class. Adam just started boxing a few months ago; last year he won his grappling division at Fredonia. MMA and grappling classes (under Corey Norman) and boxing classes going strong at KC's Fitness.

Congrats finally to Buffalo BJJ and WNYMMA--it looks like they did great at the NYS grappling championship, taking home tons of hardware and representing the Buffalo area very well along with a few other schools. Congrats to all!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.