UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Kyokushin or Judo.. only one!?

2/23/08 1:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FutureProdigy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Feb-08

Which of these two arts would you guys pick if you had to make a choice? Hypothetically speaking that is... i ask because I am thinking about going overseas to teach but I will not have the time to study both arts so i must narrow it down to one. But forget me, what would YOU do and why!?
2/23/08 12:27 PM
dennis5
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kyokushin- but, I'm partial to striking arts.
2/23/08 5:58 PM
Frogs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Probably not what you want to hear, but thats dependent on the individual. Some will take better to 1, some to the other. Both are respectable. Id try out each and go fron there.
2/24/08 12:43 AM
Golden Arm
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Feb-08
Having trained in both...I say train in judo.
2/25/08 1:34 AM
gurukripa
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Feb-08
where overseas are you going? If there is a Jon Bluming affiliated school you can learn both at the same time or even a Daido Juku school.
2/25/08 9:49 AM
Kolsyrade
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Feb-08 09:56 AM
Why do you train?
If its for self defense, then neither really. Both leaves huge gaps in their normal training (the whole standing vs grappling thing, which has been argued to death) for that purpose. Try something like Krav Maga instead, they specialize in self defense.
If its for sport / exercise / fun, then its about if you prefer grappling or striking. Who cares what the rules dont allow as long as both sides follow the rules
I prefer Striking, so I chose kyokushin. Im a decent grappler (or at least I was, once), but I just dont enjoy it as I do the punch&kick game. I do what I think is more fun.
Or are you preparing fom a MMA career? in that case I would chose judo/BJJ. Grappling is more important in MMA than standup, and unlike self defense you dont have to worry about the opponents friends joining in when you got him pinned in a nice lock.

but why not shop around where you are going for a school that combines them?
Shidokan or daido juku are both good.
If you are going to Japan there are several similar styles.
2/25/08 6:38 PM
FutureProdigy

Yeah, it'd be in Japan... I'm contemplating teaching at one of the language institutes to make ends meat and then training - as i do not meet the criteria for a uchi deschi program. I figure this is the next best option. Im young and should take advantage of the opportunity while i can.
2/25/08 9:46 PM
gurukripa

I would train Daido Juku if I was in Japan and had limited time as it is a functional blend of Kyokushin and Judo.But Judo training at the Kodokan cant be beat also.Training Judo while you are young is also a good idea as it becomes more painful when you are older. Another reason to train Daido Juku is that you cant really find it outside of Japan.
2/26/08 5:54 PM
carl hoss

Edited: 26-Feb-08
Kyokushin
3/3/08 8:54 PM
Golden Arm
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Mar-08
You can do judo for the rest of your life. Kyokushin is for the young and strong. Unless you just want to concentrate on kata.
3/6/08 2:41 PM
BushHog

Edited: 06-Mar-08
I'm 52 and just started Kyokushin. Love it. And not just the kata. Judo is way to hard on me.
3/7/08 11:00 PM
yusul
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-08
judo.
3/9/08 5:26 PM
Golden Arm

Edited: 09-Mar-08
"I'm 52 and just started Kyokushin. Love it. And not just the kata. Judo is way to hard on me." Obviously it's going to depend on HOW you train. If you go to a typical Kyokushin dojo in Japan, they concentrate mainly on tons of repetitions of basic punches, blocks, and kicks, mandatory full-contact sparring w/ no pads, and lots of conditioning, w/ a little bit of kata thrown in occasionally. At least that's how it was when I trained with the branch chief on Okinawa in the early '90s. That can be rough on anyone, much less a seasoned adult who has to go to work every morning. They made no distinction in Japan between young and old practitioners. Not sure how dojos in the US train, though. As far as judo, learning the throws and how to fall properly can take some getting used to, but need not be a back-breaking experience. Plus you can concentrate on uchikomi and groundwork, which is less punishing than all-out standup randori. Training for a 52-year old recreational player should be different than for an 18 year old competitive player.
6/1/08 7:09 PM
Tball

Depending on where you end up, you couold look into training Shooto - get both striking and grappling experiance.
10/14/08 8:47 AM
ChanceDuBois

Try shidokan or daido juku. Here's a training log from 2 people who went to Japan to train shidokan.

http://www.shidokan.org.uk/News/Dojo_Diary_03_01_20070522.htm
11/13/08 6:41 PM
jesus3
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try Enshin Karate, home to the Sabaki Challenge, it is a combo of Knocjdown Karate and Judo.
11/28/08 2:29 AM
Paul Carroll
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I live next door to the founder of Shidokan - Seono. A nice guy. Unfortunately my schedule does not actually allow me to train there ...
12/23/08 11:35 PM
rom

both if you can manage ur time.. i do both judo kyokushin good stuff
3/13/09 11:07 AM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TRain both!
3/13/09 11:10 PM
Kolsyrade
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

northboy - Judo.

Not to hijak the thread but where do you train, Kolysrade?

I think you are NYC- do you train in the Madison Ave or 5th ave (can't remember) dojo?

Wrong dojo, wrong city, wrong country, wrong continent.
I live and train in northern Europe. Sweden to be exact.
3/16/09 1:35 AM
laqueus

I'd go for something like Enshin Karate. Both in one.
3/17/09 1:59 PM
FutureProdigy

Kolysrade - What do you know about robert wiklund and his dojo (part of swedish kyokushin union)?
3/18/09 4:41 AM
Kolsyrade

Edited: 03/18/09 9:30 AM
FutureProdigy - Kolysrade - What do you know about robert wiklund and his dojo (part of swedish kyokushin union)?

Nice guy. Decent fighter (retired from competition about 10 years ago). Good instructor. Good reputation in swedish kyokushin.
His son seems to be some kind of rising star fighter in kyokushin union, and is currently training in japan full time.
But I have not had any contact with him for years, as we are in different kyokushin factions. He used to be in IKO1, but now he is in kyokushin union. I, and most of kyokushin in sweden, is in IKO2. When the great kyokushin split occured back in 96, he followed his instructor in england, while the rest of swedish kyokushin decided to stick together as a group.
I dont know anything about his current dojo (or dojos -he runs 4 of them).
5/26/09 3:04 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I trained under Ninomiya in Enshin and later in Judo.

Enshin is more like Judo than Aikido.
11/23/09 11:56 PM
leothelion

Edited: 11/23/09 11:56 PM
 Judo.... Randori... adds a whole reality to Judo that other traditional arts focused on stiking cannot match... but it's really all good....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.