UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Kyokushin or Judo.. only one!?

11/25/09 12:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
laqueus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kyokushin specifically due to its full contact nature has that aspect of reality that Judo randori brings.
11/25/09 2:21 PM
Ogami Itto
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like striking arts, too but I would pick judo because you have to work so much harder to get good at it and the benefits are enormous.
11/25/09 7:45 PM
laqueus

I've found the opposite, Judo and grappling arts come naturally to me, and striking arts take a lot of work.
11/28/09 2:04 PM
Shaper108
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/28/09 2:06 PM
Dude you are in Japan...Kudo all the way..

If I HAD to pick only one it would be Judo.
11/30/09 11:43 AM
Ogami Itto
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

laqueus - I've found the opposite, Judo and grappling arts come naturally to me, and striking arts take a lot of work.

Hurm! Still, I think to really develop the finesse of a good thrower ala judo, takes a lot of time and effort. Agree or disagree? I mean, I am impressed as fuck that you cannot put your hands on a good judo man without ending up on your ass.
12/1/09 4:51 AM
laqueus

Yeah it takes time to get to a high level, but I can put up a decent fight with any Judoka, even if they consistently throw me I can reverse them at least 25% of the time. Strikers I can't do much at all, unless they're just not skilled at all. Grappling I can make stuff up on the fly, I learn stuff very quickly, I can teach myself... it's an entirely different thing.
12/1/09 11:25 AM
Ogami Itto

Hunh. Sounds like some people take to one or the other with greater affinity for whatever reason.
12/2/09 3:26 PM
laqueus

Yeah. Like there are some people that have never been taught how to throw a punch in their life, and they can consistently one hit KO someone (assuming they're not defending properly). Someone like that will have such an easier time with striking, as the whole strategy makes sense. If you lack KO power, being able to even spar effectively relies on the partner pretending you could actually hurt them. Having someone not really respect your power with justification means that you can't set up combinations properly and so on.

I don't know really if there's anything as clearly identifiable for grappling that's a key to being able to do it effectively, but yeah, some people just pick stuff up easily.

This would also be why you see someone like BJ Penn who trains BJJ knocking people out, and guys like Mirko Filipovic who train kickboxing able to grapple and even submit opponents. In this case it'd be that they're talented at both, but you could also have that with someone working really hard at one and just being good at the other the first time they try it.
12/2/09 4:27 PM
Ogami Itto

I have to work really hard to be mediocre at grappling, myself!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.