UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Strip House in NYC

2/25/08 3:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kot1k
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Feb-08

I went to this fine establishment last weekend with my fiance. Here's a review:

It's near Union Square, and I drove in from Brooklyn. Traffic was a nightmare and we were 30 minutes late for the reservation. We called and said that we were going to be late, and they said that they will do their best to honor the reservation, but obviously could not guarantee it.

When we arived, we were still seated immediately, even though we were very late and the place was packed. This was a start of a very nice experience.

The service was great. The waiter knew his stuff and wasn't afraid to make a recomendation.

The interior of the place is also very nice. It's got a dark red velvet theme with retro burlesque pictures on the walls. It's dimly lit giving it a very nice atmosphere. The only negative is that the tables are close to eachother, making it a bit cramp.

On to the food. For apetizers we had braized scallops and fois gras. The portions were generous, and both apetizers were great. We didn't get a bottle of wine because we planned to go drinking, but even the wine by the glass list was decent. For the main course we had a medium rare porterhouse for 2. The steak was perfectly cooked, and carved for us at the table. It was more than enough for 2 people. The waiter also brought 6 different sauces for the steak . The steak did not need them, but it was a nice touch.

For desert we split crem brulet. It was on the level with the rest of the meal. The dinner, with a glass of wine and a pre-dinner drink each, we spent 250 with tip.

Overall, I'd give the place an A. Definetly on par, if not better than the better known NYC steakhouses. It's great for a dinner for 2, or small groups, but would probably be problematic for larger groups, since the place isn't very big for a steakhouse.

2/25/08 5:28 PM
Nebuchadnezzar
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my current #1 steakhouse... their bone-in ribeye is the best around! did you get any sides? i always do the holy trinity: truffled spinach, creamed corn w/ pancetta, and the goose-fat fried potatoes.
2/25/08 9:58 PM
bigwilly
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"...goose-fat fried potatoes" my knees are starting to buckle
2/26/08 8:44 AM
kot1k
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Feb-08
I got the goose fat potatoes and the wild mushrooms. The best part for me was spreading the fois gras left over from the apetizer over my steak. I think I had 3 heart attacks during the meal, but they were well worth it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.