UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Cane Fighting

2/25/08 7:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jason Couch
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Feb-08

I did a post about this cane fighting book from 1912 that I think is just phenomenal.  It is The Cane as a Weapon and I put it on the web and linked to it as well, so check it out if you're interested.

Thanks,

Jason Couch
Martial History Magazine
2/25/08 9:05 PM
sreiter

Edited: 25-Feb-08
nice
2/26/08 9:43 AM
Willybone
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Feb-08 09:47 AM
Dude. What an awesome site!
Thanks.

I broke a leg and used a cane for much longer than I had to, just because I liked having a solid stick with a weighted, metal end with me.
Years later, I took HapKiDo and some of the required weapons forms were with hooked canes like in the book. I loved it. Definitely more practical than tonfa or sai.
Cold Steel has an interesting selection of defense canes.
2/26/08 11:01 AM
Jason Couch

Edited: 26-Feb-08

Thanks about the site, guys. I need to spread the word more, but I'm usually too busy researching, writing, or wasting time, lol.

I love to train the cane, but I haven't had an injury that let me pull off carrying one. If I dressed nicer, I guess I could use it as a pompous accessory, but my fashion skills are nonexistent.

I'd really like a great fighting umbrella option, because I do carry a bag/briefcase type thing, but I haven't seen any umbrellas with a pointed tip, decent striking weight, and enough durability to hold up to whacking things.

2/26/08 12:34 PM
sreiter

Edited: 26-Feb-08
i've trained cane via FMA - inosanto has a whole system of cane work (from la coste) i got it through ron balicki (cold steel training center head instructor, etc) i even tried using it in a dog bro fight - i dropped it in like a second, and ended up doing bjj
4/6/08 11:52 AM
e. kaye

Edited: Apr 6 2008 12:00A

Check out Canemasters.

I was the inspiration for the Hickory Diamond Shaft Serrated cane.   He made me a custom one to my design and I specified the shape and it became one of his standard canes with some modification.

I used a cane for a while after a knife wound in the leg. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.