UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> tonight

2/26/08 12:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Feb-08

Meat 101

Tuesday 02-26-2008, 7PM - 9:30PM

Instructor: Joey Hahn

Cost: $85.00

Seats available: 0

Learn hands on how to braise, roast and grill meat successfully. Red Wine Beef Daube; Sausage and Mushroom Stuffed Pork Loin; Grilled Lamb Chops "Scottaditi" (Garlic and Herb Rubbed). 2 week cancellation policy

--------

haha, i can't wait..  they better let me eat all that too.

2/26/08 5:05 PM
MikeZev
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice!
2/26/08 5:09 PM
d0mm3r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds awesome!
2/27/08 10:39 AM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Feb-08
the class was awesome.  the food was awesome..  learned some good stuff..but to do that same thing at home in my tiny kitchen would be quite a mess.
2/27/08 10:50 AM
MikeZev
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

elaborate.....
2/27/08 11:55 AM
alxholic

one big thing i know now is what equipments i'm missing that i should buy.

food wise...

the beef was premarinaded when we got there.  all we did was brown and braised the beef, added a few other things.  I have to look at the recipe again to remember.  the class was short so time wasan issue for braising.. this didn't taste as good as it should.  still good though

the pork was where i learned the most i think.   i learned to butterfly a tenderloin to get the best surface to roll it up.  cut a "J" shape in the loin so I have a big flat surface to stuf and roll.   cooking the stuffing first to avoild overcooking the outside while the inside is still raw..  stuff with anything but breading ( a common mistake the chef said) bread drys the meat and actually keeps the inside from cooking quick enough..  how to tie a rolled up meat.  although we didn't brine, he talked about it at length and sounds good.  also talked about how pork doesn't need to be well done like it did in the 70's.. the meat is clean now.  the pork was very good i will probably try it at home sometime.  the chef had to follow the recipe, but he said if it was up to him, he would brine and roast the pork then put the stuff on top..  that's probably what i will do.

the lamb was a rack of lamb, very simple.  frenched and seasoned.  then seared on a flat grill to medium rare.  that was good too.  nothing new i didn't already knew how to do. 

overall since all the ingrediants were there and ready and we worked in groups of 4, and was on teh clock because we had limited time.. it was very iron chefish.. a lot of fun.

2/27/08 12:02 PM
alxholic

oh.. and one more big thing i learned was deglazing and making sauce with that..  tasty stuff comes from the pan crusts..

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.