UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Biological research?

2/26/08 8:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
amorphous
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Feb-08

Basically, if I wanted to work for a private research company what kind of credentials would I want? Are most of them PhDs? Is there good money to be made? Is a bachelor's in straight biology or chemistry a bad idea?

If anyone with any kind of experience in this could give me any info I would appreciate it.
3/29/08 7:17 PM
microbiologynerd
938 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Mar-08
bs/ms in any life or physical science will get you in the door. most of the classroom lecture stuff you learned is not applicable- however the lab techniques you learn (if you took the right courses) is tremendously valuable. do everyone in the sciences a favor and go into it with some degree of passion, not just because you can get lost in the folds of a huge pharma company and make decent $$. there's nothing that pisses me off more than seeing some douchebag who doesn't know basic chemistry working on drugs that could go into people or animals.
3/31/08 3:24 AM
P.V.Jena
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Mar-08
I think you might need a PhD. I'm getting a Physics PhD in Biophysics and I'm pretty sure I'll need a post-doc as well before I get a good position doing some cutting edge research. If you don't mind being a lab tech/technician, a BS in biochemistry might suffice but then you won't be choosing what you do and what's interesting etc etc.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.