UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Old age(55+) and Martial Arts ?!

2/28/08 3:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FutureProdigy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Feb-08

Maybe today is just one of my pessimistic days but do you ever feel like you are training in vain? I feel like by the time i hit my 60s i will no longer be flexible and will be unable to do the majority of the movements required for martial arts anyways. I feel as if I am wasting my time as a youth doing it. Sure, you learn it now and have fun now but you lose it all in the long run. How do you guys approach the inevitable looming restrictions of age? Maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective, i guess you could always teach at that age - and pass on the tradition - or take up a more soft oriented martial art, than the typical harder styles? I dun know, i'm venting in a sense. What do you guys think.
2/28/08 4:31 PM
ViewType

Why would you lose your flexibility? Are you going to stop stretching?
2/28/08 8:00 PM
FutureProdigy

So your saying that at 60+ you'll be able to do all the kicks your doing now?!
2/28/08 9:19 PM
ViewType

If I lose some spryness I might not be able to jump as well. But I see no reason why I won't be able to do all the other kicks. I've seen plenty of 55+ do taekwondo.
2/28/08 9:32 PM
FutureProdigy

I guess you're right... i dun know, i just see all these old athletes walking around with canes, and bad eye sight and think what a waste of time training that was.
2/29/08 1:34 AM
dennis5
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Feb-08
You might lose a step or two in timing, reflexes and flexability, but you should be able to train. How often do you hear about people who still participate in triathlons and marathons in their 60's? 60 is the new 50with all the advances in nutrition and supliments, you should be alright!
2/29/08 4:47 AM
Allinthefootwork

Edited: 29-Feb-08
Well, I'm 35 and my current training is 3 sessions of MMA grappling and 2 tkd classes a week. The grappling I love, but I find it very hard on the body (I'm training 1 on 1 with a pro fighter, so its quite intense) I started tkd because I can do it alongside my 5 year old son, who wanted to start and it is the only class at the right time that he could do. But, aside from that, right now I get: A reasonable bit of cardio Some leg strength and flexibility The chance to spar (lightly) and compete at a masters level Learn new things (big part of anti-aging is doing new things) To me, this is quite good to help me keep active as I get older. I may lose a step for pace and flexibility, but I should improve my technique and strategy. Most people start MA for self defence or fighting. But keeping training is usually about enjoyment and health
3/3/08 9:57 PM
WizzleTeatsv2

Edited: 03-Mar-08
I have seen Kru Yod Tong (owner of the Sityodtong camp in Pattaya, Thailand) at 65 neck kick guys who were 6'+...cold, no warm up. That was a while back (he's probably over 70 now) so maybe he's lost a step, but I doubt it. His son, Kru Toy, is probably in his late 40s'/early 50s and trains pro fighters every day, and at 120 lbs. tops can toss my 200+lb ass around the ring. My old kungfu teacher's sifu is at least in his mid-50's and is a monster with his clinch and throwing skills...was a shuai jiao champ in Taiwan and still tosses his top students around. HIS teacher, Liu Yun Qiao, was teaching and training almost up until his death in his mid-80's. So, long story short, age is a number, as long as you train smart. Even though I'm only 32 I am moving back towards the internal arts a bit, if only to balance out 10+ years of MT. When I'm 70 I'll grow that long kung-fu master beard like all the old dudes in the 70's Shaw Brothers flicks and walk around with a wine jug laughing at nothing.
3/4/08 9:40 PM
FutureProdigy

Edited: 04-Mar-08
You raise a interesting point about going into the internal arts as you age. It begs the question should we start in them when were young as well so we have a basis, and aren't just coming from being proficient in a hard style to knowing next to nothing, and having to start all over again, in the internal styles. "When I'm 70 I'll grow that long kung-fu master beard like all the old dudes in the 70's Shaw Brothers flicks and walk around with a wine jug laughing at nothing." Quote on the night! Awesome.
3/5/08 10:04 AM
WizzleTeatsv2

Edited: 05-Mar-08
Well, you don't really have to "start over" in the internal styles, especially if you're coming from a jujitsu/judo/CMA background. And most "hard" styles include a lot of internal training at the higher levels. Shuai jiao and Muay Thai are not internal styles--but there are plenty of practicioners who are still stronger, more active and healthier at 60 or 70 than most people are at 30. Flexibilty and strength will always decline as you age, but technique, timing, and power (from constantly improving body mechanics) can increase for a looong time. Look at the founder of Aikido...at 50 he was a beast and built like a brick shithouse. At 80 he was tiny, but agile and had flawless technique. Hell, look at Helio Gracie! That guy's so old the Crypt Keeper owes him a nickel and I'm dead sure he's still on the mats as much as possible.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.