UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Brick oven for home?

2/28/08 5:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
skrump
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Feb-08

Anyone have any experience with one of these things? Ive been getting really into baking bread at home, as well as pizza, etc, and this thing looks pretty cool. One thing is it only has a one foot capacity, seems a bit small. But that might not be bad, as my "kitchen" is about as small as they get! I use a baking stone right now, and that works pretty well. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=635&f=25761&q=brick+oven&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1
2/29/08 2:32 PM
skrump
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Feb-08
Nice, that hearth kit looks pretty cool. I'm using the baking stone with a pan of water technique right now, but I'd like to try the brick inserts..
3/5/08 3:05 AM
alpo

Edited: 05-Mar-08
FWIW, I use my Big Green Egg for this stuff. It can get pretty hot.. 800 F or so. Probably higher, but they don't recommend anything beyond 800.
3/7/08 10:26 PM
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-08

I was just gonna recommend the BGE. How's the pizza? I'm buying the baking stone here pretty soon.

Quick question. I can understand why the pizza would come out tasting pretty good but what about something like choc chip cookies? If you're using lump charcoal does it effect the "cookie" flavor of the cookies? I keep thinking cookies with a charcoal flavor would be wierd.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.