UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Padded or Non-Padded Sticks?

2/29/08 3:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
merryprankster_au
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Feb-08

Myself and my training partner are still pretty new to stick fighting. We have been sparring with head protection and very light padding on our hands. We have been using fairly solid, padded sticks (light stick with thin foam padding). We cannot afford the torso padding etc. I have seen some people use. Nor do we want want the restriction of movement this "armour" seems to produce. Do not want to be constantly badly injured but also want a certain amount of realism and "punishment" during sparring. Am aware of Dog Brothers and others who fight with heavy sticks and very little protection but was wondering how common this is? What percentage of people who spar with "sticks" use the padded variety?
2/29/08 9:17 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The CSPT
In my program padded sticks don't come out until the training goes to a more advanced level. We always start out hitting the hand with rattan and hockey gloves. In the process we work footwork, angles of attack and defense, ways of attack, switching hands, closing the gap etc. We get people to train very intense at this level for a while. Then when we open up the head, torso and lower body as targets we switch to padded weapons for a while. Once there is a comfort level with this we switch back to rattan. Here's a clip that shows some of this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJLlM69scuI Demi www.DemiBarbito.com
2/29/08 2:33 PM
shoe

What Demi said...a good time to switch to the next level is when you become inured to the fear/pain/discomfort factor at the current level...if you lose the respect, move on lew lakan 2 Arnis Maharlika level 1 bango
3/3/08 2:43 AM
merryprankster_au

Edited: 03-Mar-08
Thanks for the advice guys. Just wondering how often and hard you would spar with proper sticks? Is it "hard" sparring? And would it be once a week, once a month or how often?
3/4/08 8:30 AM
Steven Lefebvre

Edited: 04-Mar-08
Hello MP, Stick sparring should be viewed as a progressively increasing training tool for your development. Here area few different variations for you to play with: Padded sticks (minimal glove protection) Padded sticks (no protection) Targeted light contact rattan (minimal protection) Targeted light contact rattan (no protection) Light Contact "all target" (minimal protection) Full Contact (Full protection) Full Contact (minimal Protection) You can add into the mix, single vs single stick, single vs double stick, double vs double stick, espada y daga added to the above, aluminum trainers, multiple opponents etc. The best estimate for your training intervals will be based on injuries, lessons being implemented through sparring, availibility of partners, gear, etc. If you have any other questions feel free to keep them coming Guro Steve L. www.Bujinkandojo.net www.Sayoc.com
3/5/08 6:54 PM
jeeperpete
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Mar-08
Quick answer: Start with a lot of padding, and pare down to a level that pushes you slightly (defeats a little fear). As time goes on, remove more padding, always going with what will push yourself and elevate your skills (because when it hurts, you respect it more and react / fight more "real") Longer answer: i'm part of Balitc Dog's group Gentlemen's Fight Club up here in Bay Area N.Cali (SF, Oakland, that area) We fight full contact with as little padding as the two fighters will get into the pit without. Minimum for us is cup, mouthgaurd, and kendo helmet (once in a while someone will stick fight with fencing mask on). Knife fights are with aluminum training knives, gardening gloves, and fencing masks. Personally for me its been an evolution myself vs my fear. I simply love the fact that i've fought in more knock down drag out full contact fights in two years than i had in my previous 33 yrs x 10! heh. When i started last year at the beginning of fight season i wore elbow pads, knee pads, hockey gloves. I was soooo slow and dropped my stick a lot. As i fought more and more, i pared down to less padding, became faster, pared down further, building courage. Now i'm fighting no shirt, wearing just helmet and MMA gloves. Our founder (he's on this forum, may post to this thread) - he'll fight no shirt, no shoes, no glovee! (yah, WTF??) heh So schedule wise this fight season we're fighting full contact once a month, with weekly training sessions in once a week inbetween. At the training sessions the GFC uses padded sticks, torso armor in addition to gloves and helmets. At training the goal is to develop speed, skills, and that "stick to itivness" that's needed during a crazy high intensity fight night match.
3/5/08 11:34 PM
merryprankster_au

Thanks for the feedback is really helpful:)
3/5/08 11:35 PM
Sled Dog

Did a lot of hard stick training & fighting. Still think it's the best. Sometimes the soft stick is an interesting training tool. Allows you to play and not pay the price. Probably has to do with my age. Ha Ha.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.