UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Jalapeno Poppers

2/29/08 2:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
attjack
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/12/08 12:50 PM

Here's my Jalapeno popper recipe.

1-2 dozen Jalapenos. Get big ones with less curve in them.

Diced Prosciutto.

Cream Cheese.

-----------------

Cut off the tops of the jalapenos and thoroughly clean the seeds from them. IF you don't do this right they may be too hot. Poke holes in the bottom of the peppers. Rinse very well. Drop them in some water after you clean each one and let them soak for a few.

Mix the Prosciutto and cream cheese together.

Use a chopstick to stuff the mixture in the peppers. Over stuff so that it protrudes about a half inch over the top of the pepper.

------------------

Use one of those glass casserole dishes that are 2-3 inches deep. Cover it with aluminum foil, use a knife to make small cuts in the shape of an "X". One "X" for each spot for a popper.

Push the stuffed poppers through the holes in the foil so they will stand upright.

------------------

In an oven heated to 325 bake the poppers for about an hour. Take them out, let them cool a bit, and arrange them on a plate. Serve. People always go nuts for these whenever I make them.
3/1/08 1:48 AM
Mullet @ Heart
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Mar-08
Prosciutto, huh?  Nice touch.

Bacon-wrapped poppers are good too.

Anyone ever tried making poppers in a smoker?  Hmmmmm...
3/1/08 3:58 PM
attjack

Edited: 01-Mar-08
I wonder how they would be if I did it my way and then added a strip of bacon to each popper? The prosciutto has a bacon like flavor, and the prosciutto that's in the overflow gets cooked well enough to have a bacon like consistency. Maybe I should try this tonight for the UFC.
3/2/08 8:41 PM
acm5060

Edited: 02-Mar-08
made these tonight and they were excellent!!!! should've put in more prosciutto than i did, but they were still great!!!!!!!
3/2/08 9:35 PM
crescentwrench
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Mar-08
I've made them on my grill while smoking some ribs but I stoked the fire to make it hotter so I could cook the jalapenos enough and then char the ribs some.  I got one of these for Christmas to stand them up.  And yes, mine is also shaped like Texas, but has more holes that aren't as big.

3/3/08 11:08 AM
attjack

Edited: 03-Mar-08
Glad you liked them, acm5060. I did try them with bacon for the UFC. Seemed like a bit of an overkill. But I used thick sliced bacon. If I ever made them with bacon again I would use thin bacon. But with the prosciutto I don't think it really needs the bacon.
3/5/08 3:03 AM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Mar-08
I probably have the same stand that CW has. A stand isn't even 100% necessary, though. If you smoke them, do it pretty hot for a shorter amount of time... something like 320 degrees for 25 minutes...versus the typical 200-230 degrees. Just IMHO. They have a very high surface area to mass ratio, so they can be oversmoked pretty easily.
3/5/08 8:14 AM
crescentwrench
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Mar-08
Yeah, you don't need anything fancy.  It wouldn't have the same pop for alpo but it works here in VA as far as presentation. 
3/7/08 10:20 PM
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-08

I made taco meat. Cut the jalapenos in half and clean. Put the meat inside the halves. Put a slice of cream cheese on top then sprinkle some crumbly bleu cheese on top of that. Wrap each one with a slice of bacon. Get the coals going well in the grill then sprinkle some chopped Granny Smith apples on top (or whatever flavoring chips you prefer). Cook on the grill with indirect heat for about 40 minutes or so. I was able to keep the temperature at around 350 the whole time.

They taste unbelievable as I'm sure the rest of the recipes above do.

3/8/08 10:54 AM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Mar-08
^win
5/11/08 8:01 PM
Elias Cepeda
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

5/13/08 5:31 PM
d0mm3r

I used spicy italian sausage, cream cheese, and bacon-wrap the suckers, then smoke/grill on the BGE for about 45 minutes at 325 - OMG. I think there is no way to fail with bacon, jalapenos, cream cheese and fire.
5/14/08 11:51 PM
alpo

There is almost no way to fail with the BGE at all, unless you are a complete asshammer.

5/15/08 12:18 AM
d0mm3r

Damn, alpo. I was hoping it was me all along :(

Think they would let me take the BGE onto Top Chef as my "item from home?"

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.