UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Flex Watt

3/3/08 9:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GACEY
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Mar-08

Anyone use this? Tell me how you like it if you do.. I have several Blood Pythons and I have been thinking about getting this..
3/5/08 5:47 PM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Mar-08
It's what I use to heat all my snakes enclosures. Highly recommend it, but make sure you read up & hook it up correctly and to a thermostat or rheostat to keep the temps controlled.
3/5/08 5:49 PM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Mar-08 05:55 PM
I use a Herpstat proportional thermostat to control my tape and couldn't be happier with it also. This particular model has a night drop feature which is nice. As found here or at many herp supply places: http://spyderrobotics.com/products/herpstatnd.html It adjusts the power proportionally to keep the temp at the probe where you want it. Very nice to avoid overheating in the summer & cooler temps in winter.
3/7/08 4:25 PM
GACEY

Edited: 07-Mar-08
How do you have it in your snakes enclosures? Just laying under the substrate? Under the enclosures? What are your enclosures made of and how thick (if under them).. With the proportional thermostat can you connect more than one heat tape to it from different enclosures? Any pics of the enclosures ? Sorry for all the questions.
3/8/08 2:48 PM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 08-Mar-08
I use it under the enclosures, but only 1/4 to 1/3 of the bottom max so there's a gradient. Depends on how you want to hook it up, but my rack for instance has 6 levels all 4' wide. With the same size Flexwatt pieces all connected parallel, I'll be getting the same wattage to each to level and in theory should have the same temps at all levels. Of course with the different elevations it will be slightly different but I've found it to be nothing noticeable and within half a degree from top to bottom. My temperature probe is sitting on the tape on the second from the top level. The best way to address this is how do you have your snakes set up at the moment? Ideally you want to have the tape set up underneath the enclosure, but some do put a piece of lino in the cage that has the flexwatt beneath it. I wouldn't recommend this especially for an animal that has high humidity needs but there are endless options.
3/8/08 6:24 PM
GACEY

Edited: 08-Mar-08
Here is a pic of one on my cages.. http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3103/completeog9.jpg Someone gave me the cage (was used for a monitor) and I made some big adjustments to it for my Blood. Now I have 4 Bloods... I have the whole room temped out but I am about to build some new cages that will be stackable and not as tall. In the thought process I was thinking about adding some Flex watt but still am not sure it would do any good if it were on the underneath of 3/4 inch wood. Should I even bother with it if the wood will be that thick? Was gonna start building this weekend.
3/10/08 5:32 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 10-Mar-08 05:40 AM
I've seen many enclosures with 3/4 ply that had heat tape underneath. My Honduran enclosure has 5/8 melamine and it works alright but quite as well as I'd like. You can get a warm spot for sure but getting ambient temps out of that makes it tough. If it's a temp controlled room then you're really only worried about a warm spot anyways so it should be ok. 3/4 ply is gonna soak up a lot of wasted heat keep in mind and you'll have the tape running pretty warm so make sure yo have it controlled. Ideally you could either replace a piece of the floor with something thinner or just make the floors out of 1/2 material? Just a thought. Also here's what a buddy did. He keeps Borneo Short Tails (close relative & often confused with Bloods) in this. He has the flexwatt inside the enclosure but with Linoleum covering it & keeps two large humid containers inside (not shown as these were brand new). One container on the warm side one on the cold. He puts paper towel on the Lino to catch any messes & make cleanup eaiser. Just another option & it keeps water off the flexwatt **edit** If you look at the right side stack middle enclosure you can see one humid hide + a water dish visible.
3/25/08 3:17 AM
Monroe
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Mar-08
Those are some nice looking enclosures. Are they custom made?
3/27/08 1:15 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 27-Mar-08
Yep a buddy of mine made them actually. Greg West of Cornel's World He's shipped stuff stateside too, is really reasonably priced and does quality work.
3/27/08 12:04 PM
Porkchop74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Mar-08
I agree nice set-up!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.