UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> 1sr 120,000 down

3/5/08 5:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Subadie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Mar-08 06:01 AM

I have to buy a house because I'm separating/divorcing. My wife has asked for this. Thats 120k that I used as a down payment/closing costs. I cant even buy a cool bachelor condo in the downtown so I can be close to my kids, and so they can have their own rooms when they see me. Thats a lot of money to me. Now I have two mortgages, because my wife stays at home with the kids and I basically have to run two households on the same income as before. How do people do this ?! Its agreeable; our assets are not complicated; we agree on status of kids, etc. I have a lawyer of course because I have a referral list and I refer all my clients who request a divorce lawyer to the same guy. My wife has contacted a mediation guy. I myself am reluctant to call the lawyer, but feel that I should because thats what I tell my clients, but now that I'm in the position, I dont want to do it. Any advice ? I'm sure with a forum full of lawyers, most of you are already divorced !
3/5/08 4:55 PM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Mar-08
Not divorced here. However, call a lawyer now!
3/6/08 2:50 PM
Fake Pie
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Mar-08
"Now I have two mortgages, because my wife stays at home with the kids and I basically have to run two households on the same income as before." There is only one thing in law school I ever got emotional about and it was the unfairness of Family Law. Your situation caused me to go off many many times. I would fight tooth and nail.
3/7/08 6:39 PM
Dojosensei
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-08
Fake Pie, I hear you loud and clear bro. Women get away with DAMN NEAR ANYTHING. If men did 1/4 of what the women did the men would be in jail in a fucking heartbeat.
3/7/08 9:45 PM
Shaz

Edited: 07-Mar-08
True story: I was picking a jury several years ago, and on the first day we had 9 or 10 in the box. The second day we're supposed to start at 9:30, and the defense attorney is nowhere to be found. 10:00 rolls around, then 10:30, then 11... Then the judge comes out and asks me to come into chambers with the law clerk. We go back and the judge informs us that he just got a call from a Supreme Court judge (in New York, Supreme Court is the trial level civil court, and criminal court too if there's no County Court), who informed him that this attorney was in front of him, and had just been held in contempt for failing to pay $50,000 in child support. This judge was about to lock him for 60 days. My judge asked if he could hold off for a few days, as we were in the middle of jury selection, and expected to be done with the trial in less than a week. The other judge said he'd think about it. So 45 minutes later, the attorney strolls into court as if nothing was wrong, didn't say a word about what was going on. We finished picking the jury, tried the case in a few days (guilty verdict in about 20 minutes), and away he went, and I heard later he got his 60 day sentence. I always wondered if he and his client ever shared a cell. -Shaz!
3/8/08 10:15 AM
Xtina

Edited: 08-Mar-08
yup, ime its very much set against the guy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.