UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> on fear of fighting

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tony Blauer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.

Hi, Its late and Im getting ready to leave on another seminar trip so I must be brief... Most important: Get into the ACRCHIVES and sppend some time there if this is important to you. There are a ton of threads specifically on your situation. Next, remember, perception rules. Yours & there's. What's more critical is that you are focused on what you can do,not what they can do. If the fight is on, then it matters little whether you looked big & mean or meek and nervous. Do you believe inyour ablity? [That was where Tom was going with 'What martial art have you studied?] Nervousness is typically attributed to confidence, confidence is directly related to preparation, preparation is intrinsically connected to ability, ablity is the sum result of your training appraoch. If it was inadequate, you'll get nervous from one of two stimuli: 1. Your opponent, because you know he can/will kick your ass. 2. From yourself, because you know you are posturing at some level. #2 accounts for most nervousness in the martial art world. Few do empirical homework. Jake wrote a couple of things that warrants clarification: "As for appearing visually nervous...so what? Do you really want to let the bad guy know that you're ready to fight? Let him think you're nervous." This can prove very dangerous around the wrong opponents and especially if there is little or no substance in your arsenal [back to recent Tom's efforts to remind people of one of my favorite qoutes: You cant fake endurance!] Appearing nervous or using 'nervousness' is a subtle and effective manipulation, but not a panacea. It must be attached to a 'training' methodology that supports this, otherwise...its just plain nervousness. Next he wrote: "If he's a howler, he won't fight (your apparent fear will provide the boost to his ego that he's seeking). If he's a hunter, then he will be unprepared for you to fight back." FYI: Howlers do fight, but they dont fight hunters. While I think several of the points offered were important, we need to get back to some basics: #1. your question ask about being able to use the skkils you worked so hard to learn...do you see the paradox of your predicament [read the HICKEY BEATING DEATH thread in the ARCHIVES]. With due respect to those that replied, only Tom connected to this which is key to all. #2. The mind-set aspects, using anger, visualizing, Golden Rules, all extremely valid, but core confidence on a tactical level comes from replication training. Sincerely, Tony
Maurice Dumas

MDRATLANTA, Do you have children? A wife or other loved one? Think of what that attacker will be taking away from the ones you love if he messes you up. Does this piss you off? It should! Take that image with you when you train. Learn to click on the switch when this image appears and I believe your inhibitions will vanish, mine did. Buy Tony’s tape on “Cerebral Self Defense”, the empowering affect it has is well worth the investment. Peace on the Streets Bro, Maurice
Nicodemus

Get ANGRY! and focus that anger on the enemy. Anger is a great way to bury the fear. If you are pissed off enough at something, you no longer fear for yourself, you are only concerned with kicking ass. Anger can bury almost any emotion. Just be careful to stay under control and not let the anger make you too wild. Keep your head, just use the anger as a fuel and as a tool. Make the those physiological responses work FOR you! It works well for me.
Tom Campbell

MDRATLANTA!! WHAT KIND OF MARTIAL ATRS TRAINING HAVE YOU DONE? LETS START WITH THAT QUESTION!! PEACE, TOM
jsteinmann

Well...getting nervous and getting an adreneline dump are two very different things. Getting an adreneline dump doesn't mean that you are nervous! From an emotional perspective, it doesn't mean anything, unless you attach a particular emotion to that sensation. The adreneline dump is a bio-chemical response to danger. It makes you stronger, faster, your blood clot will sooner...it's part of a subconscious survival mechanism that you can't control...nor would you want to. Adreneline does miraculous stuff. As for appearing visually nervous...so what? Do you really want to let the bad guy know that you're ready to fight? Let him think you're nervous. If he's a howler, he won't fight (your apparent fear will provide the boost to his ego that he's seeking). If he's a hunter, then he will be unprepared for you to fight back. Would you rather fight against someone who knows you're ready, willing, and able to go, or against someone who thinks (wrongly) that you're a coward? As for the actual psychological nervousness: A lot of good suggestions here already (particuarly the wish list of your loved ones). Check the archives here too. There's a ton of great info. Vajaria I get nauseous as hell when I get an adrenline dump. There's been times I thought I'd puke just standing there. That's just me though. Just some thoughts... Jake
vajra

Nicodemus, Thank you. I believe you have answered my question. BTW, I made a typo. I meant to say that "Mr. Blauer probably understands the physiological effects and feelings of adrenaline BETTER THAN ME". :) From the tapes I've read and listened to he definately understands it, although he seemed to associate a wave of nausea with it, which is something I don't recall having. Anyone else?
Nicodemus

Yes Danny, I didn't mean to get aggressive with a possible attacker. I just meant to use one emotion to override the other. Also you should try to make a positive associatiation with that feeling of an adrenal dump. It's easy to get that shaky feeling and think of it as fear and weakness, when it's really your bodies way of getting amped up for the fight. When I get that feeling I try to feel it as a good thing, so it begins to feel natural. Here's an exercise I do a lot. It requires nothing but imagination. Just imagine, vividly, getting into a life and death altercation. I don't know about anyone else but if I think hard enough about it I can cause an adrenal dump, just by imagining. I then try to control that feeling, get used to that feeling and learn to like it. If you can imagine good enough you can practice adrenal control almost anytime. And I think it's a very important tool.
vajra

I used to have the same problem but then I changed my perception of the feeling. Mr. Blauer probably understands the physiological effects and feelings of adrenaline and I am certainly no doctor, but I began to think of the fight/flight response and wondered if that was what I was going through. When I began to think of that "nervous energy" (which also makes my whole body shake, especially my hands) as an adrenaline dump instead of my subconscious fear overwhelming me everything changed. I began to think of myself as a tightly coiled, dangerous spring that would explode if it had to. As I said I don't know for sure if it is adrenaline (someone here will probably know) but the idea that it was helped a lot. I still get that feeling from time to time, but it has lessened considerably. I would also attribute this to learning more about confrontation management and gaining a sense of familiarity with such situtations. Hope this helps some.
mdratlanta

i am concerned that though i have many years of training in the martials arts, that when i am confronted on the street, i immidiately become nervous. within seconds, the nervousness takes over, and i start to shake. i appear visually nervous. i think this takes any advantage i may have away from me because if someone wants to fight me, this might give them the edge to win. how can i control this fear and learn to use it to my benefit so that the training i have spent so m any years on can help me survive?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.