UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Other patches?

3/7/08 3:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-08

Hi Roy, as an academy policy question, do you request that students remove old 'other team' patches from their gis once they attend your class or join your academy? i believe most academies have strict requirements about this. i initially didn't care when i thought about it, but something about it is rubbing me the wrong way, so i was thinking about making a 'no patches except for this team' policy for my own gym. just wanted to hear your thoughts.
3/7/08 11:17 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-08
Each instructor has to do what they feel is best for their team. I don't require my students to wear my gi patch ONLY. Why is that? Because my business is SO DIFFERENT from other businesses. Here's why: So many BJJ schools make "going to" and "competing in" competitions a major part of their culture and tradition that wearing a patch from another school would be disrespectful. Since I don't emphasize competitions, and since my focus in business is on an entirely different type of clientele, I do not require my students to wear Harris International or Roy Harris Jiu Jitsu patches. There are a few students at my academy who do compete under the Harris International or Roy Harris Jiu Jitsu banner. These student wears one of our patches when they compete. However, during class time, student can wear any gi patch they want. So, if competition is a major part of the culture and tradition of BJJ you present, then it is understandable that your student should wear your gi patch! Roy Harris
3/8/08 4:13 AM
demandango

Edited: 08-Mar-08
thanks Roy, discussing these things with you always helps me clarify my own thoughts.
3/8/08 2:31 PM
tucker713
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Mar-08
where can we get these patches of your Roy?
3/9/08 12:23 AM
Roy Harris

Edited: 09-Mar-08
tucker713, Write to Alicia at aliciaanthony@cox.net for more info. Roy Harris
3/9/08 9:45 AM
tucker713
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Mar-08
thanks Roy I will do that...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.