UnderGround Forums

TravelGround >> Go to BERLIN!

3/7/08 7:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alphafemale
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-08

(xposted from OG) Just got back from my yearly trip to France and Germany and I have to say that I am really really appreciating Deutschland more and more everytime I visit. My friend who is a native NYer has been living in Berlin for about 10 years now. The neighborhood she's in is a great mix - it's still being revitalized but you wouldn't want it to be any more revitalized than it is now..it's the perfect neighborhood where you can walk outside your door, go to numerous cafés, bars, restaurants, shops, etc and not leave the neighborhood. It's also walking distance to Mitte. You can pick up two cafes/espressos, some pastries and it only costs about 4euro. In paris, this would have cost something like 15-20euro. Seriously. 3 (large)beers was only like 12 euro. So, it was like paying US prices, instead of insane European prices. The shopkeepers offer great customer service and many of them do not mind trying to talk to you in English. Everyone was friendly (as usual) and the bars are FANTASTIC. Also, meeting my friend at 10pm at a bar was no problem - felt totally safe and also at 2am when she walked me to the apt. door - she walked back alone and of course I was worried but she seemed confident that it was ok. Apparently so.... Also, her apt. is HUGE. She has a 3 bedroom with huge eat-in kitchen. I have to post pics because I couldn't believe that she only pays 750 euro for this place and that includes for the heat. I think it was about 1200-1400 sq. feet. Whodathunk that I would start preferring Berlin to Paris? Berlin is like one of the best cities I've ever visited for so many reasons - maybe because I've never done the touristy thing? Whatever the reason, I'm ready to go back. I can see why she feels no need to come back to the states.
6/4/09 6:36 PM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/04/09 6:37 PM
I was in Berlin last year. Spandau area, to the west. We were visiting one of my wife's high school friends. I too though the city was awesome. We rode the bus and train everywhere. It wasn't that expensive, loads of cafes, bars. Good beers.

I was also surprised at the rent. Their condo was like 1200 euro but was in a super nice area. (forest trails, walk to a lake, walk to a river, walk to a golf course) They are middle class professional folks (civil engineer and a nurse) and were living much nicer than a lot of people in big cities in the US.

If you like that type of city and want less germans, try sczeczin across the border in poland. Good food, beer, cheap, friendly folks, easy to get around, history, etc...
6/20/10 1:17 PM
outtap

I'm in Germany right now, a small city called Giessen, outside of Frankfurt.

I have some time to travel in a couple weeks. Anything specific to go in Berlin?
2/21/11 10:59 AM
banjo

I plan on going to Germany this year. Can't wait...
3/29/11 8:48 PM
socal
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

berlin is a cool city
2/25/12 8:26 PM
BrunoMcGyver
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was in Berlin at the end of 10 to do an internship. Stayed 6 weeks. Was meant to stay 4 months but left because the internship sucked. Berlin was awesome though. Ate the best kebabs, chicken and western-style burritos in the world there.

Mustafa's Gemuse Kebap for awesome Kebabs
Huhnerhaus between Gorlitzer Bahnhof and Schleisches Tor stations for the chicken
Delores near Alexanderplatz for the burritos.

There's also a Viking themed bar in Friedrichshain which is fucking awesome. I think it was called the Wikinger Bar or something like that. Clash in Kreuzberg is also the shit.
3/22/12 1:45 PM
PJ Dive

If you go to Berlin and get homesick for good American food, go to The Bird. Owned by a couple of New Yorkers and has some of the best burgers and steaks I've ever had.
4/6/12 12:15 AM
SouthernFriedJedi

I'm going to Berlin in June. Staying in the former East Berlin. Can't wait!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.