UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> Making a LEVEL shoulder turn

3/11/08 9:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gforce
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Mar-08

My major swing flaw is a tendency to dip my left (lead shoulder) instead of making a level shoulder turn. I read a Golf Digest article that said to look at the back of the ball which has worked WONDERS for my swing. I still at times fight to keep my head behind the ball at impact. I took a lesson where pro had me use a short metal baseball bat to hit golf balls that he tossed at me. That also helped a lot. Any other tricks to making a LEVEL shoulder turn?
3/11/08 2:01 PM
BigKiller
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Um...it really shouldn't be that hard if you're set up properly. Chances are that if you're still doing this you have: A) More than one flaw in your posture/how you setup to the ball B) You're swinging too hard C) There's way too much lateral movement in your swing D) You're swinging too hard Hitting balls with your feet together is a good all-around drill. A good swing thought for you would be "swing around your head". I'm not trying to be a dick but it sounds like you're most likely not a great golfer. Instead of doing one lesson with a pro once in a while, work with a pro over a period of time so he knows what YOUR SWING should look like.
3/11/08 7:14 PM
Gforce
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm definitely not great. I'm taking a ton of lessons with a guy who was teaching pro of of the year--plus, I get video to take home. And yes, I swing WAY too fucking hard. Since he gave me the baseball bat, he has me only allowed to hit from waist high/halfway back. I am actually much longer from there than from my full coil. Still, we have a long way to go and I was just wondering if there were any other tips.
3/12/08 7:50 AM
BigKiller

Edited: 12-Mar-08
Dude, I was thinking about this on the treadmill this morning. Hitting balls with your feet together is a great drill for you. Also try to pause at the top of your downswing for a 3 count and then start your downswing. A) It's hard and you have to be on plane to do it B) If you try to jump your body in front of the ball you'll certainly feel it C) Most importantly, it will get you initiating your downswing properly. Your body should sequence (and reach maximum speed/acceleration) in the following order: feet, then hips, then shoulders, then arms and finally club) You're most like starting your upper body too soon. Hope that helps. Definitely try hitting balls with your feet together. If you're moving your body to much, you'll never keep your balance.
3/12/08 2:28 PM
Gforce

I think the feet together thing is going to help me. And yes, I start my downswing with my hands. The latest guy I started working with is great. The baseball bat thing was huge. He said that I had taken too many golf lessons, actually got too much stuff in my head about the golf swing, and failed to let my natural athleticism take hold.
3/12/08 2:34 PM
BigKiller

^that can happen. Golf is a sport and should be treated as such. If you work on the feet together drill, I'll give you one for sequencing your downswing later.
4/6/08 8:34 PM
Gordon Gekko

Edited: Apr 6 2008 12:00A
"Also try to pause at the top of your downswing for a 3 count and then start your downswing."

That is the drill the fucked up Charles Barkley's swing!!!
4/6/08 11:16 PM
Gforce

Edited: Apr 6 2008 12:00A
It's really coming along. Between the lessons and that Hank Haney video, I am swinging with a shoulder turn instead of my left rear delt.

Now that I am getting some distance from the turn, the casting is going away.

I hit two bombs on Saturday that would be real impressive if not for two mitigating factors.

- 310 yard drive (was really about 270, but hit the top of a fairway bunker and bounced about 50 feet in the air and 100 feet downrange.

- 355 yard drive (would actually be impressive if it wasn't from an elevated tee over 100 feet above the green.

Still, it's finally coming along.
4/7/08 7:57 AM
BigKiller

Edited: Apr 7 2008 12:00A
Gforce,

Now that you're turning your shoulders, work on initiating your swing from the ground up. Feet, then hips, then shoulder, then arms and finally hands and club.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.