UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> 3 on 1 attack

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bobber
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

I would like to thank everyone who posted in regards to my experience. It has been uplifting to hear your praise and comments. stay safe BOB
Sean Mulligan

Bob, Congrats and welcome to the Mental Edge. I know that you have been comtemplating posting this, but as you'll see, there is alot of intellectual capital here willing to assist in your journey of self-discovery. Guys, when Bob first approached me he had this down look on his face, as if he had just lost his best friend and started the coversation with, "Did you hear what happened the other night, i was dropped with a 'haymaker'!" Having worked with Bob i was dropped everything and had to hear the tale unfold. Needless to say, he may have been hit as a result of some undesireable decisions made in the pre-contact stage, but what it comes down to is that in the perverbial 'holy-shit' moment his training came through for him. It should also be noted that a month before this incident, one of our officers was knocked unconcious as a result of a similar 'sucker-punch'. Having experience in the field i know that this could have a dramatic effect on an officer's psyche and as such had to point out some of the following; Although i wasn't there personally and Bob can't recall the fight step by step (who can in a real fight), i'm 99.9% sure that the sudden movement of his opponent caused him to flinch and prevented him from receiving any injuries. He didn't go 'fetal' after attacked emotionally, psychologically and physically, but got back into the fight engaging the primary threat with tools from his close quarter arsenal. He maintained tactile awareness and PRESENCE although his friends attempted to intervene. Both Bob and i admit that less-desireable decisions were made during and prior to this event, however he approached all of us with the intent to learn from this experience and prevent something like this from occuring not only to himself, but others as well. Way to go! Sean The
Kiisa

Wow! Great job! You did awesome. I am very glad to have you as my 'beat' cop. It is great to know that you and others like you are around to keep us safe. The neat thing for me about this is that it was you. We train every week and sometimes I really do wonder about the 'street' applicability - and not so secretly hope that I'll never have to test any of it for real. But in all that, you (and I know you for real - not just internet) used the stuff that we learn and that I know too. Kind of helps to pull it together for me. Guess that would be kind of a light-bulb moment. Way to go! I'm glad you walked away victorious and were able to share your experience with others to help then gain insight (me in particular). Good work Bob! -Jenn
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Excellent RESULT Bob! BTW: DId you know that my company slogan is: In combat, only the result counts! :-) Sean pointed out, as did you that it was your confidence in your ability to take a punch that allowed you to weather this ambush. We at Blauer TActical of course, prefer the more esoteric explanation, referring to it as EMOTIONAL CLIMATE training: a series of subtle drills, agressive drills & strategies, pain management phases, perception/reaction modules, mind-set concepts and so on... [all the stuff Sean was doing whether you knew it or not]. Now that some time has gone by, what needs to be done is some REPLICATION drills on the event [for your benefit and others], that some strategic and tactical insights regarding EXTREMELY LOUD PRE-CONTACT CUES were missed,that there are truths regarding distance and safety when outnumbered, that speed cuffing is not the same as cuffing quickly and safely, etc. The learning curve is created during the after-action phase, the past is past. "Are you training for your next fight or your last fight" -TCMS Maxim Stay safe, Tony
bobber

Hi everyone, I would like to take this time to say this is my first time sending a thread. I have been a student of the spear for approx. 1 1/2 years under the direct supervision of Sean Mulligan. I am a police officer, and this is the Readers Digest version of a night down town .One night while talking to a person who had their motercycle running in front of the police car (this person was not the threat) Three males came walking down the street, one male stepped of the sidewalk and cranked the throttle of the 1100 ninja motercycle to red line and then let go. I looked up at the owner of the bike and asked if he knew the male, which he did not. I then stepped out of the police car and asked the male "what are you doing touching the bike if it is not yours" I was approached by the male who got well inside my comfort zone (nose to nose) where I was told "relax were only having a little fun" . A strong odor of alchol was detected and a decision to arrest the male for being intoxicated in a public place was made, the male was spun around and place up against the cruser. I had the left cuff on the male and was reaching for the right and that is when the right hand came up and I got a sucker punch to the left side of the head . The fight was on and he got a couple of elbows to the head when all of a sudden my body armour was torn from my body and my radio went flying 20-30feet down the road, both my arms were being pulled behind my body. A simple drunk arrest has now turned into a 3 on 1 street fight. The 2 males behind me halled off by some bar bouncers after what seemed an hour and the drunk was taken in to custody. If it had not been for the emotional climate drills and knowing that I can take a hard punch to the face and keep going, I dont know how this scene might have turned out . I have also since learned that being in the one cuff possition is a very dangerous position to be in. Maintain the tactical feeling and nerver take a drunk and his frends for granted, and remember a sucker punch can come from anyone , and anywhere Thank you Sean and Tony for sharing your knowledge with everyone. Bob
Varley

A 'lil extra detail ... Bob is being mighty humble here ... In the midst of this attack , with 3 on 1 , and the primary assailant wearing a hunk on metal on his wrist , (read : hindged cuff) , Bob managed to go immediately from his flinch to a mount position . He dominated almost immediately , and we're all proud of him here ! In fact , through it all , he protected himself so well(BYOB) , that he came away with only a scratch ! Subsequently Sean has worked with us on 'cuffing' scenarios , and Bob nailed it in class by establishing how important tactile is . Presence combined with a good tactile contact and nothing is going to get by you ! Good work Bob ! Like you say , "stay safe, and come home to the ones you love" . Regards , Var

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.