UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Living Amongst BBQ Haters

3/13/08 2:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mullet @ Heart
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Mar-08

This drives me nuts.

I threw a tri tip into the smoker for about an hour and finished it on the grill.

Me: It could use more smoke flavor.

Wife: It tastes like a campfire.

Niece: Yeah, it does.

They only BBQ they can stand is ribs and pulled pork... All smothered in sauce, of course.
3/13/08 11:23 AM
mteub
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*roll down electric car window in limo....kill them...both....
3/13/08 6:20 PM
crescentwrench
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to the barber.  Get yourself one of these do's. 

Then go get yourself one of these

You know what you have to do.
3/13/08 11:26 PM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You didn't get a flare-up or use some old ass partially burned wood right... you do know what you're doing right? I've also heard that poor circulation (ventilation) can make for some bad BBQ. I also heard a rumor about oversmoking... apparently it can be done. Something about temperatures and after a while the smoke will cling to the meat instead of being absorbed. I don't remember exactly, but there's something. Some guy some time said something about delicate meats too, but with beef you know that shit you can cook it like nobody's business. I know you know you think you know what you're doing, it's probably them, kill them. Love you and your Roasted Garlic, it was delightful!
3/14/08 12:53 AM
Mullet @ Heart
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Mar-08
Naw, it's not me.  I'm far from being an expert, but I know what good BBQ tastes like, and mine ain't bad.  Hell I was the guy asking how to get more smoke in pulled pork. LOL.  They don't like it in restaurants either.  Just not BBQ fans, unless there's enough flavor to bury the smoke flavor. Frustrating, it is.
3/14/08 12:46 PM
Mullet @ Heart

I guess it could be worse. My friend's (dude that loves to cook) fiance doesn't like cheese.
3/14/08 7:45 PM
samichlaus
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You need to "dilute the smoke". Try using your smoked meats as an item in a dish, not as the dish. Pulled pork fried rice, smoked brisket machaca, pasta with smoked chicken, green chile enchiladas w/ smoked chicken/pork, smoked turkey risotto, smoked chicken stuffed tomatoes etc. Try this stuffed tomatoes Pre-heat your oven to 325 Get about 10 big beefsteak tomatoes, cut the tops off and scoop out the guts like making a jack-o'-lantern, salt & pepper the insides and set aside. Chop up a couple pounds or so of smoked chicken, toss it with a bout a cup of pesto, store bought is ok, divide the filling between the tomatoes. Spritz everything with a bit of olive oil. Cook until the chicken pesto mix us heated through, you can speed this up a lot by nuking your filling for a couple minutes before stuffing the tomatoes. When things are about done, top each tomato with a thick slice of your favorite cheese, provolone, mozzarella etc & cook until the cheese is melted (broiler works very well for this).
3/14/08 7:47 PM
samichlaus

P.S. You were sounding like Yoda. lol
3/14/08 8:08 PM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice sami, I'm going to try that. I do something similiar on the grill, but it's smoked chicken (sometimes a bit of ranch), garlic, pepper, and the mozzarella cheese is mixed in. I also put the lid back on the tomatoe and grill/bake forever. Good eating right there. Shrimp or crab meat substituted for the chicken is good too. Smoked Chicken Quesadillas (or whatever) are good too, you might win your wife and niece back with them.
3/25/08 11:40 AM
alpo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Mar-08
My girlfriend doesn't like BBQ that much. She doesn't hate it.. I mean, she does like it sometimes, but she has to be in the mood. I could eat it every day.
3/25/08 6:03 PM
Tys

A couple of Smoked Sausages, leftover Pulled Pork from Sunday, and some shrimp made an awesome Gumbo for dinner last night.
3/25/08 6:49 PM
alpo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

day after Easter/Christmas/Thanksgiving gumbo = the best
3/26/08 9:35 AM
Tys

Edited: 26-Mar-08
Well, to be honest I kind of took a shortcut. I just added the stuff to an instant Gumbo mix. I think it was called Zatarain's or something. It was damn tasty either way.
3/26/08 9:11 PM
Mullet @ Heart

No shame in Zatarains.
3/26/08 11:52 PM
alpo

Agreed, it is a staple even in New Orleans.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.