UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Real Estate Law Question

3/14/08 12:27 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DoctorOctagon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Mar-08

Okay, I'll try to make this as short and to-the-point as possible. My wife & I bought our first home (townhouse) in October of 2006. When we moved in, we noticed the basement bedroom (front of the house) had a wet carpet in one corner after the first big rainstorm we had. Asked the lady we bought from if she ever had any water problems and she said no. Then it clicked...in the whole house, only one room had new carpet, that room. Fast forward to about two weeks ago...after trying different exterior stuff to direct water away from the foundation since the problem started, my mom has been moved out of that room and now calls our family room her home. Got tired of dealing with the problem with towels and a ShopVac so I had family in the construction & waterproofing business come out and cut into the wall. We find an unevenly poured foundation wall, blocked off by wood...with the foundation wall marked "FS" with an arrow pointing to the uneven pour spot. From that spot there's a crack that goes to the floor, about seven feet tall. That's where our leak is after water-testing. Can I go after the seller for non-disclosure of this? I would have never even considered this place if we'd known about the problem. Please tell me I can do something with this!!! STDC
3/14/08 1:09 AM
DoctorOctagon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YES! YES SHE DID! No way this fucking popped up miraculously after we bought the house. STDC
3/14/08 11:01 AM
seg
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure, but one potential problem I see is that it has been about 18 months from the date of purchase and you're just considering a claim now.  I don't doubt she lied, but I think you have a much tougher case now, than if you had noticed the problem within a month or two.
3/14/08 10:00 PM
DoctorOctagon

seg & Huerta, I DID notice the problem within just a couple of months. On top of that I have the email where I asked if they ever had any water come in that basement bedroom, which she responded "no never" to. I'm no dummy, I ask my questions in writing and don't discard the answers. Is that to my advantage? STDC

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.