UnderGround Forums

PoliticalGround >> Obama: Hey, Thanks for the Raise

3/14/08 11:27 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Mar-08
I'm not seeing corruption.
3/14/08 11:29 AM
Crazy Zimmerman
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he's corrupt it just proves he has the skill set necessary to be an effective politician.
3/14/08 11:34 AM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"It is not helpful in a case of corruption to point and say "well, this other guy's worse!". It's a cynical technique meant to distract." Correct, Obama supporters can try to deflect the topic as much as they want, but deep down they know this is bad. If you snatch an old lady's purse or rob a bank you still have the mindset of a criminal.
3/14/08 12:05 PM
oldnslow
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Yes We Can Do Worse." That sums up just about every single vote I've ever cast in this political system.
3/14/08 12:11 PM
flowerfeeder
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Mar-08 12:17 PM
I agree with Meta's assessment. This is NOT even corruption. University of Chicago Hospital: * Headquarters: Chicago IL, USA * Industry: Healthcare, Hospitals & Clinics * Revenue: $861.9 Million * Employees: 5,000 * Jobs: 102 So Obama earmarked $1 million, or 0.1% of the hospital's annual revenue, for the best - one of the very best in the world - and largest hospital in his state, and it employs his wife, a Harvard Law graduate, as a VP ... and this is your scandal? Harvard Law graduates will make $300k/year 2 years after graduation in private grift practice. Let's focus on a raise given to a woman that was promoted to a VP position after working at the near-billion dollar per year hospital for 4 years and ten years experience with community relations at the University of Chicago.
3/14/08 12:17 PM
Timbo
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is NOT even corruption. It certainly appears to be a conflict of interest.
3/14/08 12:26 PM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

flowfeeder, You are making shit up now to protect your boy. She was not promoted to VP when she received the raise. She was already VP and year over year received a 250+% raise. Nobody gets that kind of raise and maintain their job title at the same time, not to mention the fishy circumstances with the timing of it.
3/14/08 12:29 PM
PatK
382 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is NOT even corruption

Timbo is correct- it's a conflict of interest.

Funny how conflicts of interest are ok when it comes to Obama, but not anyone else.

And this isn't the only conflict of interest he's had.
3/14/08 12:42 PM
PatK
382 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at necon supporters trying to turn a POSSIBLE conflict of interest into corruption & criminality.

I love how you label anyone that doesn't support Obama a neocon.

Fucking retard.
3/14/08 12:48 PM
Chris in Cambridge
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"LOL at necon supporters trying to turn a POSSIBLE conflict of interest into corruption & criminality." 1: I'm not a "necon". Or a "neocon". 2: It's POSSIBLE corruption (was there quid pro quo?). It is DEFINITE conflict of interest. "Nevermind this admin's connection to the oil & miltitary industry complex & the money they've wasted, the black guy gave the hospital money & his wife a raise! Gasp! The horror!" Don't worry about that bad stuff, there's much worse bad stuff OVER THERE. LOOK! neocon neocon neocon. Bushitler.
3/14/08 12:48 PM
karasu

"our system is so broken. if americans weren't so comfortable and complacent we'd burn down DC."---It's all Clinton's fault.....Those liberal dems are destroying America......It's all Bush's fault......Bush has ruined the economy.....balloonknotter is correct.
3/14/08 12:58 PM
bryanand

"I love how the the same guys always run to defend this admin & claim they're not neocon supporters." Who the fuck is supporting Bush on this thread?
3/14/08 1:00 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She was not promoted to VP when she received the raise. She was already VP and year over year received a 250+% raise. I think you need to check your facts. Your version doesn't seem to jibe with either the spin from rightwing hacks or the truth. It certainly appears to be a conflict of interest. Mildly eyebrow raising if anything, but that's it. The U of C hospitals get over $100 million dollars of federal research funding each year. It's one of the country's most advanced research and renowned teaching hospitals. Shit, she could have easily taken a million dollar+ yearly salary with any private law or consulting firm after he was elected senator. She didn't, she stayed with her employer of the last 14 years: the University of Chicago. I can't believe I have to defend this. For some reason, a not-insignificant portion of the right wing has no concept of numbers larger than a dozen, which is interesting considering the number of people they have involved in high finance.
3/14/08 1:01 PM
Chris in Cambridge

"I love how the the same guys always run to defend this admin & claim they're not neocon supporters. Whaaa, the liberals, the dems - but hey, I'm NOT a neocon....pussy-ass, retard-loving fucking nitwit. Shut the fuck up already." Okay, hugo, put your money where your inarticulate mouth is: Show me my support for the Bush administration.
3/14/08 1:09 PM
bryanand

"I think you need to check your facts. Your version doesn't seem to jibe with either the spin from rightwing hacks or the truth." That may be the case, I am basing it on the statement that was posted on this thread. I have seen many people get promoted to VP in the corporate world, and not one got a 250% salary increase with it. "Shit, she could have easily taken a million dollar+ yearly salary with any private law or consulting firm after he was elected senator. She didn't, she stayed with her employer of the last 14 years: the University of Chicago. I can't believe I have to defend this." That makes it even worse, she works there for 14 years and the timing of his seat and earmark support almost triple her salary? WTF?
bluedragon

MetaDevil is kicking the shit out of this thread. McSame '08!!!! Stay the course!!!! Iraq is coming together!!! 100 years!!! We fight them in the streets of Baghdad so we don't have to fight them in Times Square!!! More Occupation!!!
MetaDevil

Show me my support for the Bush administration. What does that have to do with the shit you're posting here? You obviously don't support Obama if you're posting this to imply he's just another corrupt politician. So you're voting for who? Oh yeah, the fantasy libertarian candidate probably.
3/14/08 1:15 PM
Chris in Cambridge

'Show me my support for the Bush administration.' "What does that have to do with the shit you're posting here?" Anger. Always the anger with you. hugo made a specific accusation that I was a "neoconservative". I asked him to provide proof. Why don't you mind your own business, rage boy?
3/14/08 1:16 PM
Mark1

lol @ the spinning by the Obamaniacs. Mark
3/14/08 1:17 PM
Timbo
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The U of C hospitals get over $100 million dollars of federal research funding each year. It's one of the country's most advanced research and renowned teaching hospitals. Shit, she could have easily taken a million dollar+ yearly salary with any private law or consulting firm after he was elected senator. She didn't, she stayed with her employer of the last 14 years: the University of Chicago. I can't believe I have to defend this. That isn't relevant to whether or not he is violating Senate ethics rules by requesting earmarks for his wife's employer.
3/14/08 1:17 PM
Chris in Cambridge

"And Chris, if you care so much about corruption, you can do better than this." Please provide a prioritization for all of my future posts on corruption. Thanks. Maybe it was because I read the article, found it interesting, and then posted about it? Tomorrow, maybe I'll read something about McCain and post that. Okay with you?
3/14/08 1:18 PM
bluedragon

Edited: 14-Mar-08 01:24 PM
"I was referring to PatK & the handful of guys who always run to the admin's defense on these types of threads." PatK is not one of these guys. He may not like Obama and criticize him when he doesn't do anything for his state, and then may criticize him when he earmarks $1M to one of the, if not the most important hospitals in Illinois, but he doesn't run to defend this admin. At least not what I see.
3/14/08 1:19 PM
MetaDevil

I have seen many people get promoted to VP in the corporate world, and not one got a 250% salary increase with it. I wouldn't judge the corporate world based on what you've seen then. That makes it even worse, she works there for 14 years and the timing of his seat and earmark support almost triple her salary? That makes no sense and you obviously have little grasp of the actual facts involved in this. It's a non-scandal. It's noise, drummed up by rightwing hacks who despise anything left of St. Reagan. If they have to suffer through 8 years of McCain so that they don't have to have a democratic president they'll do so. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
3/14/08 1:20 PM
Chris in Cambridge

"You obviously don't support Obama if you're posting this to imply he's just another corrupt politician." I don't support Obama, no, but I can see myself *maybe* voting for him over McCain (if I vote at all for President). "So you're voting for who? Oh yeah, the fantasy libertarian candidate probably." Actually, yes, that's exactly right. If it weren't for the fruit loops that Ron Paul seems to attract, he'd probably be my best bet.
3/14/08 1:22 PM
Chris in Cambridge

"PatK is not one of these guys. He may not like Obama and criticize him when he doesn't do anything for his state, and then may criticize him when he earmarks $1M to one of the, if not the most important hospitals in Illinois, but he doesn't run to defend this admin. At least not what I see." So that's another that hugo has carelessly and blindly smeared. Hint to hugo: stick to facts and you are less likely to lose credibility.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.