UnderGround Forums

MLBGround >> Poor Kyle Lohse

3/14/08 1:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tomato Can
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Mar-08

Dude just signed a 1-year, $4.25MM contract with the Cards. He should fire his agent, that is a hideous lowballing considering the sums that starting pitchers are getting now. Shit, Carlos Silva is getting $12MM a year for 4 years and he's barely above average!!
3/14/08 2:42 PM
Cousin Eddie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a pitcher who has a sub-.500 career record, an ERA within spitting distance of 5, and a career WHIP of 1.43; the last 3 years he's gone 9-12, 5-10, and 9-13. He just got a $4 million contract. He should be upset at nobody.
3/14/08 2:58 PM
Tomato Can
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

W/L records are meaningless, and I'm not even saying that Lohse is anything more than a completely average pitcher. All I'm saying is that your average starter seems to be getting like $8 million and he got half that. I'd be pretty pissed if I were him. Carlos Silva making 3 times as much as him is a complete joke, although that has a lot to do with the Mariners' management being insane.
3/14/08 4:29 PM
Cousin Eddie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can say he's 'completely average' all you want, what I'm getting at is that I don't think he's even THAT good, and his numbers don't say otherwise. Win-Loss record is typically an overrated stat in and of itself, but the name of the game is still winning, and more often than not, when you send Kyle Lohse to the mound, you don't do that. W/L record is not the end-all-be-all statistic, but it's not like Roger Clemens going 14-8 with an ERA under 2. Lohse has a poor record as a result of poor peripheral numbers such as ERA, K/9, K/BB, and WHIP, not despite good peripheral stats. And yes, he could have gotten a better deal in December than 1 year, 4 million. He would have too, if he didn't spend all winter asking for 5 years and 50+ million. So it's his own fault, really. If I'm a GM and I have to choose between signing Lohse's contract and signing Silva's contract, I'll take Lohse's deal, simply because it's cheaper and shorter, no other reason. If I had to choose between just the two pitchers themselves, I would take Silva without blinking.
3/15/08 1:26 AM
Tomato Can

Edited: 15-Mar-08 02:05 AM
"Lohse has a poor record as a result of poor peripheral numbers such as ERA, K/9, K/BB, and WHIP, not despite good peripheral stats." His peripherals really aren't that bad. They're just average. "And yes, he could have gotten a better deal in December than 1 year, 4 million. He would have too, if he didn't spend all winter asking for 5 years and 50+ million. So it's his own fault, really." If that's the case then it's his own fault, I suppose. Still, he has to know he's making well under market value for a starting pitcher of his caliber. Still, when it comes down to it I guess Silva's contract is more outrageously huge than Lohse's is outrageously small. Silva will have to have a crazy breakout year (like Gil Meche did) to justify all that money. Personally I don't see it happening. PECOTA projects him to have a 4.82 ERA and 1.42 WHIP this year.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.