UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> T-Jay calls out Pavia! Its on????

3/20/08 5:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
T.Jay Thompson
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Mar-08

A fight with me just makes more sense.

Two industry insiders....one that is respected, one that is not.

Two middle aged men still pathetically trying  to look cool.  One doing a slightly better job than the other.'

And im willing to give $$ to charity....win, win, win.

3/20/08 6:09 PM
Macedawgg
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL
3/20/08 6:13 PM
PittWrestler
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5k to charity guaranteed!  It would take a heartless man to turn that down. 
3/20/08 6:37 PM
DocMason
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do it for the kids Pav.

First you d-tuck Dirty Curty and now T.Jay?

3/20/08 6:38 PM
danablack0404

Tahiti: But these opportunities are about USING the fighter to promote UFC, not about promoting the fighter per se. It is a different dynamic. You won't see UFC lining up movie deals for Couture, or ads (except maybe for Xyience!) that don't feature UFC exposure. The fighter needs an agent to bring in those other opportunities. the ufc is currently doing both. they are promoting the fighter as well as the org at the same time. they do this because people watch the ufc because of the fighters. ufc builds them up and tries to put them on mediums that will give the best exposure for the fighters and the ufc. Both of the fighter and ufc benefit. For instance, tito got on the apprentice not because of his agent, but lorenzo is good friends with trump and convinced him to put tito on the show. also, fighters got in SI and ESPN because of Zuffa not because of their agent because unless you work for an established agency they won't listen to you, but zuffa has the credibility. what i am trying to say is zuffa is doing the real work in making the fighters into brands because if they build a successful brand around their fighters they get people loyal to that fighter and since zuffa owns that fighter people will pay for a ufc ppv to watch that fighter. Also, most of the fighters get tv, movie, ads exposure through the ufc pitching why you should use so and so fighter. in terms of getting sponorships xyience is what they used. I believe part of xyience was owned by the fertittas. zuffa planned to build a successful brand around the fighter using the ufc. then when that fighter got popular enough they give that fighter the xyience sponsorhsip. So ufc builds the stars then gives them the sponsorship. the fertittas make money off of a successful ufc fighter and xyience on the side. there can be speculation that franklin is the prime example of this. they give franklin fights that he could win. after he does people get on his nuts and xyience tries to sell supplements to the nuthuggers. They will do pretty much the same, but for a different product in the future. the typical mma agent currently does not have the connections, capabilities, and legitamacy yet to hook up their fighters with big time sponsors. most of the sponsors that fighters get are small businesses. That being said most of the top fighters are good enough to be marketed for by the ufc and extra value that an mma agent can bring to top fighter is small. it is alright to have an mma agent, but just make sure they are paid a commission that is in line with the value they create. mma agents are good for small time fighters
3/20/08 6:41 PM
danablack0404

TJ: A fight with me just makes more sense. Two industry insiders....one that is respected, one that is not. Two middle aged men still pathetically trying to look cool. One doing a slightly better job than the other.' And im willing to give $$ to charity....win, win, win. - i can imagine the smack talk that would go on leading up to the fight. you should make one of those gayass frank shamrock youtube videos about the pav to get him fired up.
3/20/08 6:49 PM
BryanHamper

"danablack0404:the typical mma agent currently does not have the connections, capabilities, and legitamacy yet to hook up their fighters with big time sponsors. most of the sponsors that fighters get are small businesses." What is your involvement with mma, that makes you the expert in knowing the importance of having or not having an mma agent? Everything you are saying is strictly opinion based, have you ever talked to some of the top agents out there and discussed exactly what they are doing for their fighters. I think you would be surprised to hear some of the big time sponsors that they work with.
3/20/08 6:52 PM
Reverse Jihad

Bocephus,Candy Man,Lada,Pitt & Assc
TJ, did not say rather it makes more sense, I just thought that he had already made a commitment to fight Dirty and if he had, can not exactly back out of the commitment. If he does not have a real commitment to this other fight, then I am all for it.
3/20/08 6:54 PM
RAZEGEAR

RAZE

"Enson on board?  Holy Cow...come on PAV...dont' be a pussy! 

It's for the kids!  I'll put up your $5k as wel....win or lose I'll give $5k to charity......Let's do this!"

wow... haha... sounds like the pav has been backed into a corner...
saying "no" at this point could not be construed as anything other then a "tuck"... seeing as how he was considering fighting a real pro fighter anyway...
this could be HUGE!!!...
too bad my money still goes to saying it doesn't ever happen...
prove me wrong pav!!!... :-)

"A fight with me just makes more sense.

Two industry insiders....one that is respected, one that is not.

Two middle aged men still pathetically trying  to look cool.  One doing a slightly better job than the other.'

And im willing to give $$ to charity....win, win, win."

awwww c'mon t.jay... some of us respect you... ;-)

3/20/08 7:08 PM
PittWrestler
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's the background on the Dirty Curty fellow?  If he's pro, I'd think that's much more attractive to the Pav so he can have that as a caveat if/when he loses.  Rather than getting beat by a 0-2 fellow industry guy who would very likely also win.
3/20/08 7:40 PM
DocMason

YouTube Dirty Curty, and you will see. DC's pretty pumped up as The Pav has gone onto a Hawaii mma forum, set up an account and set up shop on DC there, a few gems from The PAV

I make dreams come true...
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Huntington Beach, CA Birthdate: 1966-08-08
 Karma+ Karma-
*I have about 10 windows open on my computer screens at any given time. MMAHawaii is the latest I log on to. I have to be aware when Dirty Diaper tries to pollute The Pavs thread.

<form action="http://www.mmahawaii.com/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,114/func,post/" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" name="postform">

*And a proud Pervert I am. I know it is a foriegn concept to you Mr. Dirty Diaper, but enjoying the presence of the fairer sex is quite enjoyable.

*I am pretty sure dude gets beaten by the Jedi mind trick... no hands.

*So let me get this straight Monster, you think you being in the stands is going to help Curty beat me? Do you believe in Santa Claus still too?

* Ok Dirty Diper or whatever your name is, I never begged to fight you, I think you have me confused with someone who gives a crap about you. You do have one thing right... this asshole is straight. From what I hear from the boys in Hawaii that may not be the case with you. Although I would fight you I will make quick work, I wouldnt want you touching me and getting too excited.

**I think everyone in the state of Hawaii has called and said please come and shut this guy up for once. Do it for the greatest state in the union. Do it for the Islanders. Do it everything that is great in MMA in Hawaii. Do it for the legends, Niko, BJ, Mayhem, Egan.

Dirty Diaper be careful of what you wish for. The Pav makes dreams come true.

myspace.com/kenpavia

</form>

3/20/08 7:48 PM
danablack0404

Bryan: I am a very big mma fan and have a lot of money in business elsewhere. i have worked at BCG when i first graduated college and then dropped that to start my successful internet companies. For the past year I was deciding whether or not to throw some of my money in the mma by starting an mma agency with my brother. well being that i graduated from a prestigious school a lot of my classmates have worked for IMG, William Morris, and CAA, but IMG did sell their team sports representation to CAA. Will long story short i've talked to my fellow alumi and i learned a lot about talent representation. - The value is that these major agency offer are their connections. there is asymetric info regarding who the business, television, movie studios, etc should hire. the agencies through establishment and past transactions with these entities have gained their trust. It is in the agencies best interest to minimize asymetric info between talent and business entity. So these agencies are basically intermediaries like investment banks are to the financial world. So based on that getting talent on mediums and with businesses that matter will be hard if you don't work for the top agencies. Thus based on this there is a limit to how much business an mma agent can currently bring in. - why is ufc representing their top fighters because the small time mma agents can't get their fighters on the important mediums because of the reason stated above, but zuffa can by using its business success as some sort of legitimacy. Also, the top agencies won't represent the fighters unless they knew ufc would succeed. UFC builds the stars and the top agencies take them right after. Right now the top agencies are testing the waters with chuck and couture. the top mma agents may be getting some top sponsors currently not because of their talent, but because of the ufc building up the fighters they represent for them, because the ufc is growing at a fast rate, and because ufc is becoming a popular brand. that is to say if you have a fighter that fights in the ufc the war is already half won. Just mentioning ufc ups your bargaining power
3/20/08 7:51 PM
danablack0404

anyways lets get back on subject. TJ make frank shamrock type youtube videos calling out the pav
3/20/08 10:55 PM
Tahiti Bo
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Mar-08 11:07 PM
Retired

> what i am trying to say is zuffa is doing the real work in making the fighters into brands because if they build a successful brand around their fighters...

No, Zuffa's goal is to build the UFC BRAND... just because there are times that using fighters to build the UFC BRAND serves the fighters doesn't mean there is always a convergence of interest. 

You mentioned Tito and the Apprentice... you said Tito's agent doesn't have the pull to get a gig like that... who is Tito's agent?

You really think Zuffa has the pull?  It has only been the past couple of months that they have been able to land mainstream sponsorships for themselves (let alone fighters) and they have an agent themselves to do it for them...   I would suggest that (i) the source of these opportunities that you claim Zuffa finds for its fighters comes largely from Zuffa's agency, not Zuffa, and (ii) is part of the agency's marketing plan for Zuffa, not for individual fighters...

3/20/08 11:01 PM
Macedawgg
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank goodness for Bo.

The Fertittas have some gem of quotes, that taken at their essence, claim that the fighters themselves are largely irrelevant to the UFC's success.

3/20/08 11:07 PM
Tahiti Bo
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Mar-08 11:21 PM
Retired

> well being that i graduate from a prestigious school

you worked for BCG, own successful web businesses, but don't understand how the 'pyramid' in appropriateing value from intangible assets works?... well I may not have gone to Wharton (oh, wait, yes I did) or somewhere prestigious, but it seems to me that UFC would be able to capture $$ invested in its brand (legal rights in trademark) better than in fighters that can walk away (legal rights in contracts that can terminate)...

3/20/08 11:13 PM
Enson1967

Add another $1000 from me to the charity if this fight happens!!! TJ Vs Pav has got to happen. Pav???
3/20/08 11:16 PM
Tahiti Bo

Retired

No go from Pav...  he is fighting durty curty...

3/20/08 11:16 PM
RAZEGEAR

RAZE

hahahaha...
enson puts another $1000 worth of pressure on the pav...
is the pav avoiding this thread like the plague or what?... lol

he sure is talking some shit over at mmahawaii...
not to t.jay though... lol...

3/20/08 11:17 PM
Tahiti Bo

Retired

RAZE!  any new shirt designs lately?

3/20/08 11:18 PM
Enson1967

Do or get the P word attached to your name Pav.
3/20/08 11:43 PM
RAZEGEAR

RAZE

hey tahiti-bo...
yeah got some new stuff in the pipeline...
i'll do the usual bombarding the forum when production is done...

c'mon enson...
keep putting the pressure on...
you can make it happen!!!

3/20/08 11:52 PM
George Sot

he wont do it for less than 40% of the shows takings. The man has a price!
3/21/08 12:23 AM
vlucero
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Mar-08
pav is at palace, and if u guys have so much money to donate, put some in my pockets...lol..u guys are callin out a mma agent..its funny shannon bitch begging for a fight...id call u all retards but dont wanna insult the handicapped..hows this tj u n me fight for 5,000...lol..naw ur still cool in my book tj, but why u messing with my boy...
3/21/08 12:27 AM
RAZEGEAR

Edited: 21-Mar-08
RAZE
why's it "messing with your boy"?... not like t.jay's a pro fighter or anything... some decent money for charity... sounds like a great opportunity to me...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.